6 Replies Latest reply on May 6, 2008 8:15 AM by mojorisn41

Recording Limitations

mojorisn41
      Greetings,

I need some information about recording limitations in Captivate. The screens I am capturing have a lot of built in elements and are large on the backend, so when Cp3 records theses screens, I get an error message that kicks me out of Cp3 and I am not able to record these screens.

Any help, suggestions, clues?

Thank you,
      Stephanie
        • 1. Re: Recording Limitations
          Captiv8r Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          Welcome to our community, Stephanie!

Others here have reported that they work past this issue by connecting the Captivate PC to another using a remote desktop. Then record the remote desktop. Because the conflicting application isn't actually being executed on the same PC running Captivate, the issue is resolved.

Might be worth looking into... Rick
          • 2. Re: Recording Limitations
            mojorisn41 Level 1
            Thanks Rick!

I think I am confused. The system I am recording is the same size no matter what pc I use to record in Cp3, and there is not conflict in systems. The system I am recording is to large for Cp3 to record, so I am trying to figure out what the size limit is for recording. This will be a huge issue as the system I am recording is the primary clinical sytem at our facility.

Stephanie
            • 3. Re: Recording Limitations
              Hi again Stephanie

I offer my sincere apologies then, as I misunderstood your post.

I thought you were having issues recording and Captivate was closing down on you during the process. I'm guessing you are asking instead how large the actual capture area can be? In pixels?

Personally, I've never known that there was any set limit. More governed by PC resources than anything else. For Heaven's sake, how large is this beast?

Normally we recommend that folks try to stay within a lower common denominator, such as 640 x 480 (if you can) or 800 x 600 as the recording size.

Cheers... Rick
              • 4. Re: Recording Limitations
                mojorisn41 Level 1
                Hi Rick!

Cp3 is closing down when I get so far into the recording, and the so far isn't that far. It's on the first screen and I am showing the first drop down choice. It is a huge form inside a clinical app. The form is just under 1100kb.

Stephanie
                • 5. Re: Recording Limitations
                  Hi again Stephanie

How are you recording? Are you recording using the Full Motion Recording option or the other option where Captivate takes snapshots of the screen?

If you are using the Full Motion Recording option, try the other one.

Sorry, but the 1100Kb measurement doesn't translate in my mind to a pixel value.

Cheers... Rick
                  • 6. Re: Recording Limitations
                    mojorisn41 Level 1
                    Hi Rick,

Just to follow up...

Well, I was using the other one, not the Full Motion and the Full Motion is working better than the other one.

Stephanie