5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 30, 2008 2:42 PM by tony_mead

Preloading, Frame 1 question

tony_mead
      Hi there.

I have a movie where frames 1 & 2 have no graphics, just a simple preload scripts that then passes to frame 3 when loaded. Frame 3 contains all the graphics, totalling 187kb.

The strange thing is, when I profile the bandwidth and simulate the download, Frame 1 has 80kb file size; Frame 2, 0KB and frame 3 107kb.

I have checked, rechecked and checked again and there is nothing that seems to be loading in Frame 1. I've checked the publish settings and swapped the loading from 'bottom up' to 'top down' but still nothing.

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks a lot.

Tony
        • 1. Re: Preloading, Frame 1 question
          Level 7
          On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 16:44:00 +0000 (UTC), "tony_mead"
          <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote:

> The strange thing is, when I profile the bandwidth and simulate the download,
          >Frame 1 has 80kb file size; Frame 2, 0KB and frame 3 107kb.

It's not clear how do you measure these values. I can suppose that
          you're using framesloaded() and bytesloaded() functions. If so, then
          you must understand that these functions work asynchronously, and
          their values can't be considered simultaneously. Usually it's enough
          to use bytesloaded() and bytestotal() functions to build a preloader.

What you need loaded frames counter for?

• 2. Re: Preloading, Frame 1 question
            tony_mead Level 1
            Thanks for the reply Alex.

The values I refer to in Frames 1-3, are shown as bar graphs when previewing (ctrl+enter) the movie and choosing 'bandwidth profiler' (all of the values are on the left hand side) - selecting one of the bars (frames) on the right will update the info on the left to give you the values of this frame.

What's happening is, because there is 80kb somewhere on Frame 1 (which has no graphics and about 10 lines of AS for the preloader), when I check the performance and simulate d/l on a slower modem, I get a blank screen (awaiting the 80kb of stuff to load.. where it is on frame 1 is the confusing part.

Regards.

Tony Mead
            • 3. Re: Preloading, Frame 1 question
              jishi9
              Do you have any custom classes or library items that you have set with a linkage identifier?
              • 4. Re: Preloading, Frame 1 question
                tony_mead Level 1
                Hi jishi9

Yes I do have links (on Frame 5) to an external .as file that in turn has calls the fuse & robert penner components. Even though it's only called on frame 5, does it start loading on Frame 1 and if so, is there a way around this.

Thanks again, Tony

The call to the fuse & penner components is:
                • 5. Re: Preloading, Frame 1 question
                  tony_mead Level 1
                  Hi. Sorry to bump but can anyone help on this?

Thanks,

Tony