2 Replies Latest reply on May 1, 2008 8:30 AM by Newsgroup_User

Advise on locking application variables in CF8

larry_schwartz
      We use application scope variables solely as "constants". We set their values in the application.cfc OnApplicationStart. Their values are then only ever read, never written to.

1. I put cflock statements around them in application.cfc. Is this really necessary?

2. Do I still need to put cflock statements with type="READONLY" when they're referenced in templates? Again, need to emphasize, their values are *never* rewritten. They are only ever read. This is by design, and is a standard we use, so there will never be a future situation where an application scope variable is written to outside of OnApplicationStart.

Thank you.
        • 1. Re: Advise on locking application variables
          larry_schwartz Level 1
          Just found a reference in the CF8 manual stating locks aren't necessary when setting application scope variables in OnApplicationStart

In the LiveDoc: ColdFusion Developer's Guide / Designing and Optimizing a ColdFusion Application / Defining the application and its event handlers in Application.cfc

It's a frame setup, but the specific page (on my local machine) is htmldocs/help.html?content=appFramework_10.html
          • 2. Re: Advise on locking application variables
            Level 7
            larry_schwartz wrote:
            > Just found a reference in the CF8 manual stating locks aren't necessary when
            > setting application scope variables in OnApplicationStart
            >

Yes, one generally does not need to lock access to shared scope
            variables, such as application, unless there is a risk of race
            conditions that could cause a problem. In other words, if there is no
            risk of a race condition, or even if there is a race condition it does
            not cause a problem, i.e. 90% of the time, then there is no need to lock.

Over locking code unnecessary can have performance and throughput
            consequences to an applications scalability.

This advice is generally left over from ColdFusion 4.5 days, when there
            was a bug in CF that could cause memory leak problems if shared scope
            variables where not religiously locked. This problem has been resolved
            for years, but the advice persists.