5 Replies Latest reply on May 5, 2008 3:50 PM by Newsgroup_User

How do YOU organize your scripts?

Level 7
      I'd just like some general advice from other users as to how you keep your
      scripts organized on a larger project. In this current project, I've now
      got 19 Movie Scripts and 97 Behaviors and growing, most of which contain a
      half a dozen or so handlers or more, some as many as about 20. The little
      drop-down on the top of the script window displays all of the Movie Scripts,
      but not Behaviors, which is really annoying, because it means I have to go
      either find that Behavior in the Cast or find a sprite using it on the Stage
      or Score (which is a pain if many sprites are layered on top of eachother,
      or locked, or way down/over on the Score, etc.) As for the Movie Script
      dropdown list, sure it's useful, but it lists the scripts in a horrible,
      unsortable order, based on their member number in the cast, rather than
      something sensible like, say, alphabetical. It also displays in tiny text
      that's hard to read for these old eyes (or maybe I need a better monitor,
      this thing's getting a little blurry), and there doesn't seem to be any way
      to make that text larger. I do have all my scripts in a single Cast,
      separate from all the other Casts, but even in List view, it's still pretty
      annoying trying to go through all these and find what I'm looking for. All
      I get are the names of the script members, without any easy way to jump to
      the exact handler I'm looking for (and some of these scripts are quite long,
      so scrolling down and looking for them is not a trivial thing). I realize I
      could break the Movie Scripts down into 1 handler per script, but A.) This
      would quadruple (at least) the number of script members in the Cast, and B.)
      the handlers are grouped into single scripts for a reason, to keep related
      scripts together. I suppose at some point I should go and move things
      around in the Cast to sort them in a more orderly fashion, but there's so
      many of them now it's a pretty daunting task. You know what'd be great?
      Some kind of color-coding of cast members, much like sprites on the score,
      only with more colors (while I'm thinking of it, the score could use some
      more colors too), so I could instantly look at the Cast window and see which
      go together. I guess I can copy icons from various other cast members to
      use as their icons in the Cast, but that doesn't show in List view, and is
      only of limited use. I'm just curious to see how other people handle this -
      as complicated as my project is becoming, I'm sure some of you have made
      bigger ones, and any advice you can give would be really appreciated.

• 1. Re: How do YOU organize your scripts?
          kindaian
          That is something that depends ALOT on what you are doing and how you do the whole development.

I'm from a more "structured" programming environment and find it funny how Director manages the "programming" in it.

My development efforts in D11 will make me do the following structure for ALL scripts:

1. All will be external linked.
          2. Scripts will be either generic lib stuff, generic behaviors or specific stuff. All lib will be on a file called "lib.ls" all generic behavior will be in external files with their names terminated with ".ls". And the specific stuff will be with a file "cast_object_event.ls".
          3. All scripts are stored in version control (subversion in my case) and placed all on the same directory inside the main project directory.

Now i only wished that D11 had subversion support (because there is no way i will be using the non-standard version control system proposed by Adobe).

Cheers,
          Kindaian
          • 2. Re: How do YOU organize your scripts?
            Level 7
            > 1. All will be external linked.
            > 2. Scripts will be either generic lib stuff, generic behaviors or specific
            > stuff. All lib will be on a file called "lib.ls" all generic behavior will
            > be
            > in external files with their names terminated with ".ls". And the specific
            > stuff will be with a file "cast_object_event.ls".
            > 3. All scripts are stored in version control (subversion in my case) and
            > placed all on the same directory inside the main project directory.

Is any of that stuff possible in MX04? I'm waiting on D11 until the first
            couple rounds of patches come out, I've heard some horror stories. I mean,
            I know I can make an external cast, and put all the scripts into it, but I
            don't know how much benefit that would be at this point, unless maybe I were
            sharing scripts between multiple .dir files, which I'm not (yet, though
            maybe soon).

• 3. Re: How do YOU organize your scripts?
              Level 7
              I don't think he means external castlibs. He means that the actual
              scripts are external files. You can do this in the PI on the Script
              tab... there is a 'Link As' button to make the script actually be an
              external text file. You can then edit the script in other programs
              apart from the built in script editor (which has serious speed issues on
              D11). Being able to use Subversion with the scripts is a nice thing.
              I've been meaning to check it out some day...

As far as my organization goes, I would call it "chaos". Actually, I am
              pathological about naming all of my script members, and my handlers all
              have well-thought-out names so I generally know what I am looking for
              and find the appropriate member by name... then drill down to the
              handler. All my scripts are usually in a single cast, but sometimes I
              put related elements into their own casts... if a program has 3 parts, I
              may use 3 castlibs with the members/scripts separated out like that.
              Depends on the project really.
              • 4. Re: How do YOU organize your scripts?
                Level 7
                > As far as my organization goes, I would call it "chaos". Actually, I am
                > pathological about naming all of my script members, and my handlers all
                > have well-thought-out names so I generally know what I am looking for and
                > find the appropriate member by name... then drill down to the handler.
                > All my scripts are usually in a single cast, but sometimes I put related
                > elements into their own casts... if a program has 3 parts, I may use 3
                > castlibs with the members/scripts separated out like that. Depends on the
                > project really.

My method is pretty similar - I do name all the script members, and give the
                handlers good names, but there's just so many of them now it's getting hard
                to find them. If the dropdown from the script window could be set to be
                sorted alphabetically or something, it'd be MUCH easier. The other annoying
                thing is if a sprite has multiple behaviors on it, you can't just
                right-click it click on the "Script" in the menu and necessarily get the
                script you want. I've found that generic scripts like

on beginSprite me
                sprite(me.spriteNum).visible = TRUE
                end

need to be located lower down in the Cast in order to make them not be the
                default that comes up. In other words, it doesn't matter what order the
                behaviors are in on the sprite, the only thing that matters is what order
                they're in in the CAST, which really makes no sense. The one on top of the
                Behavior list should be the default, I think. Or maybe the one on the
                bottom, I don't know, but one way or another, the order of behaviors should
                be taken into account, and it isn't. Only their member numbers. Also I
                find it really annoying that if a sprite is located underneath another
                sprite that's locked, right-clicking on the sprite doesn't work, because the
                locked sprite intercepts it, so you either have to click the sprite, then
                CTRL-SHIFT-QUOTE to get the script (which again picks the first one in the
                cast, not always what you want), or go up to the Behavior Inspector and
                manually choose the one you want, or find the thing in the Score instead.
                Any of these methods takes far longer than it rightly should compared to a
                nice right-click context menu. I'd just like it if there were some nice and
                convenient way to find things in your scripts, but unfortunately, it can get
                to be a real bear the more complex your project gets.

• 5. Re: How do YOU organize your scripts?
                  Level 7
                  "Darrel Hoffman" <no.address@all.com> posted in macromedia.director.lingo:

> All
                  > I get are the names of the script members, without any easy way to jump to
                  > the exact handler I'm looking for

Not sure if this helps, but you can do a Find Handler by using
                  [Ctrl]+[Shift]+; which allows you to sort by Name.

I keep an external castLib with scripts that are likely to be used in all
                  movies. I keep another external castLib with common controls, such as video
                  controls which includes both the graphics and the scripts related to them. If
                  a project or movie does not use video, I don't attach that castLib.

In movies with scripts specific only to that movie, I will /normally/ place
                  the script members in the first slots of the internal castLib. Once in a
                  while, I will create a separate internal castLib to contain these scripts.

One thing I found that helps in the drop-down menu is naming the first and
                  last script members in a castLib a little differently. For instance, my 'go
                  the frame' behavior used in all movies resides in member 1 of the external
                  scripts castLib. The script member is named something like '----- begin
                  Common Library -----'. The last script member in the castLib is named
                  something like '----- end Common Library -----'. I generally only do that for
                  castLibs containing only scripts, but it does help.

--
                  Mark A. Boyd
                  Keep-On-Learnin' :)