10 Replies Latest reply on May 1, 2008 10:11 AM by kglad

LOADING problems

Q1475
      Why are my loading bars not working?
      I am working in Flash CS3 and have actionscript 2.0 code in my files.

The problem I am having is when I open my site I go to my portfolio section and when I click on a button, say perhaps the "Direct Mail" I don't see anything for awhile and the button seems dead. Then after a awhile the gallery appears. The panel for the buttons for "Direct Mail" is supposed to slide down over the "Portfolio" buttons. It sometimes just pops up instead. The "Direct Mail" gallery is an external swf file that I made. All of the portfolio galleries are made up of individual swf files that are loaded along with the main site on the server.

Okay, so attached is my code for my preloaders:

I found this in a tutorial I found doing a search for preloaders.
      http://flash-creations.com/notes/control_preloader.php

This is how I made my preloaders, but I created my own design and just followed the other directions.
      I hope someone can help me, the site is live now and my boss will be upset if I don't get this fixed soon!
        • 1. Re: LOADING problems
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          i don't see a problem with that code (assuming it's in a loop that terminates when loading is complete). is it?
          • 2. Re: LOADING problems
            Q1475 Level 1
            my boss said on his computer the buttons don't seem to work. He said "the external swf movie is not loading fast enough and I don't see a loader."

I am not sure if I (it's in a loop that terminates when loading is complete). How do I find that out?

I am totally new at building a website period let alone flash. This is my first time programming and building a site on my own. :-)
            • 3. Re: LOADING problems
              Q1475 Level 1
              I forgot you already know I am new.
              • 4. Re: LOADING problems
                that code is attached to a frame correct? it's not inside a function, correct? the frame to which that code is attached repeatedly executes (loops) because of a gotoAndPlay() function/method on another frame, correct? when "intro" plays that code no longer executes, correct?
                • 5. Re: LOADING problems
                  Q1475 Level 1
                  This morning I noticed now on my computer when I open the site I have no problems with the swf movies loading. In both Firefox and Explorer. It has been open many times now and for a long time. I have the latest version of Flash player and it may have already cached the site now so it comes up fast. Could that be a problem with other people's computers opening the site? Their browsers may be old and unable to see my site correctly. This is a big issue if that is the case.
                  • 6. Re: LOADING problems
                    Q1475 Level 1
                    it is in frame 2 of all of my movies.
                    • 7. Re: LOADING problems
                      Q1475 Level 1
                      Yeah, once the "intro" plays there is no other code accept what I need to make my gallery work. That only consists of goto and play and stop actions.
                      • 8. Re: LOADING problems
                        Q1475 Level 1
                        Okay, I noticed when I clear private data, and I have only the cache selected when I do this, it goes back to the problem where the gallery takes a few seconds to load and it just pops up instead of gliding down. I need the preloader to work and then the gallery needs to glide down. I want this to work smoothly the very first time someone opens the site. How do I do this?
                        • 9. Re: LOADING problems
                          Q1475 Level 1
                          To provide a little more information, this preloader works in another swf file I have in another area of my site. The news section. But I was having a problem with that page also. That needs another post. Okay so I only see it for a second before the movie plays though. But it does work, just not in any of my portfolio galleries. :-(
                          • 10. Re: LOADING problems
                            you could make sure your preloader works correctly. if you answer all my questions i might be able to help.