14 Replies Latest reply on Aug 30, 2006 3:22 PM by Newsgroup_User

    Dear Adobe Asshats, (Yahoo toolbar)

    BigMucho Level 1
      Who made the asinine decision to bundle the Yahoo toolbar with the Flash player? Guess what, I know how to type "yahoo.com" and go find they're crap toolbar... and I'd do so if I felt I needed it... but seriously... I don't.
        • 1. Re: Dear Adobe Asshats, (Yahoo toolbar)
          Level 7
          old news - been discussed here for 1-2 years now - not really discussed much anymore but search
          forum for all previous old threads - for the most part, flash detection/upgrade works behind the
          scenes (express install) and user never sees that page - and to be honest, when I go to the download
          page to grab it manually, i cant find it either - i ask many friends and clients if they see and
          they can't either - besides, you have the option to not download the yahoo toolbar - so it really
          hasn't been a big deal for most people.
          Seeing that the flash 8 player has been downloaded faster than any other player (already over 80-85%
          penetration), the toolbar hasn't had any adverse effect on the player's popularity.

          ******************************************
          --> **Adobe Certified Expert**
          --> www.mudbubble.com
          --> www.keyframer.com




          BigMucho wrote:
          > Who made the asinine decision to bundle the Yahoo toolbar with the Flash
          > player? Guess what, I know how to type "yahoo.com" and go find they're crap
          > toolbar... and I'd do so if I felt I needed it... but seriously... I don't.
          >
          • 2. Re: Dear Adobe Asshats, (Yahoo toolbar)
            Level 7
            > besides, you have the option to not download the yahoo
            > toolbar

            That's key. The toolbar is not actually bundled with the Player. The
            download optionally combines the two separate apps, but the Player does
            *not* include the toolbar. Now, the option happens to be on by default,
            which I personally dislike, but the choice is still up to the user. So the
            only asshat -- all in good fun, BigMucho! -- is someone who makes willynilly
            downloads without reading through the choices. :-p


            David Stiller
            Adobe Community Expert
            Dev blog, http://www.quip.net/blog/
            "Luck is the residue of good design."


            • 3. Re: Dear Adobe Asshats, (Yahoo toolbar)
              BigMucho Level 1
              Downloaded it for Firefox this morning... I didnt see the checkbox and it left a very bad Adobe taste in my mouth.

              We should expect more from an industry leader like Adobe.
              • 4. Re: Dear Adobe Asshats, (Yahoo toolbar)
                Level 7
                don't blame adobe - this has been an option for a couple years when *macromedia* was the developer
                of flash - try and research a little before playing the blame game. Your frustration is valid but
                your not trying to understand the who what and why.





                BigMucho wrote:
                > Downloaded it for Firefox this morning... I didnt see the checkbox and it left a very bad Adobe taste in my mouth.
                >
                > We should expect more from an industry leader like Adobe.
                • 5. Re: Dear Adobe Asshats, (Yahoo toolbar)
                  Level 7
                  BigMucho,

                  > Downloaded it for Firefox this morning... I didnt see the
                  > checkbox and it left a very bad Adobe taste in my mouth.

                  Believe me, this was a big issue when it first occurred.

                  > We should expect more from an industry leader like Adobe.

                  That may be so, but fair is fair: the checkbox *is* there. For what
                  it's worth, this was a Macromedia decision, before the Adobe acquisition
                  occurred. It would seem that Adobe agrees with the decision -- or this was
                  contracted with Yahoo! for x-number of years; who knows? -- but ultimately,
                  we've got to expect the most from *ourselves,* right? Read before you
                  download anything. :)


                  David Stiller
                  Adobe Community Expert
                  Dev blog, http://www.quip.net/blog/
                  "Luck is the residue of good design."


                  • 6. Re: Dear Adobe Asshats, (Yahoo toolbar)
                    Level 7
                    Adobe? Industry leader?

                    Ha Ha Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
                    Oo Oo I'm going to wet my pants you guys are so funny.

                    <%= Clinton Gallagher
                    NET csgallagher AT metromilwaukee.com
                    URL http://clintongallagher.metromilwaukee.com/
                    MAP 43�2'17"N 88�2'37"W : 43�2'17"N 88�2'37"W



                    "BigMucho" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                    news:ecn12v$ght$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    > Downloaded it for Firefox this morning... I didnt see the checkbox and it
                    > left a very bad Adobe taste in my mouth.
                    >
                    > We should expect more from an industry leader like Adobe.


                    • 7. Re: Dear Adobe Asshats, (Yahoo toolbar)
                      Level 7
                      Show me a company that makes a better desktop effects editor, video editor, html editor, animation
                      editor, motion graphics editor, illustration program and I will gladly accept your argument. And I
                      mean *better*, not just comparable.

                      clintonG wrote:
                      > Adobe? Industry leader?
                      >
                      > Ha Ha Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
                      > Oo Oo I'm going to wet my pants you guys are so funny.
                      >
                      > <%= Clinton Gallagher
                      > NET csgallagher AT metromilwaukee.com
                      > URL http://clintongallagher.metromilwaukee.com/
                      > MAP 43�2'17"N 88�2'37"W : 43�2'17"N 88�2'37"W
                      >
                      • 8. Re: Dear Adobe Asshats, (Yahoo toolbar)
                        Level 7
                        oh and graphics editor - photoshop is *not* the industry standard? After Effects? Flash? Perhaps I
                        have been under a rock the past decade or so :)

                        ******************************************





                        Chris Georgenes wrote:
                        > Show me a company that makes a better desktop effects editor, video
                        > editor, html editor, animation editor, motion graphics editor,
                        > illustration program and I will gladly accept your argument. And I mean
                        > *better*, not just comparable.
                        >
                        > clintonG wrote:
                        >
                        >> Adobe? Industry leader?
                        >>
                        >> Ha Ha Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
                        >> Oo Oo I'm going to wet my pants you guys are so funny.
                        >>
                        >> <%= Clinton Gallagher
                        >> NET csgallagher AT metromilwaukee.com
                        >> URL http://clintongallagher.metromilwaukee.com/
                        >> MAP 43�2'17"N 88�2'37"W : 43�2'17"N 88�2'37"W
                        >>
                        • 9. Re: Dear Adobe Asshats, (Yahoo toolbar)
                          Level 7


                          Chris Georgenes wrote:
                          > oh and graphics editor - photoshop is *not* the industry standard? After
                          > Effects? Flash? Perhaps I have been under a rock the past decade or so :)

                          what kind of rock ? Sapphire :) ?
                          • 10. Re: Dear Adobe Asshats, (Yahoo toolbar)
                            Level 7
                            :)
                            A heavy one.




                            urami_ wrote:
                            >
                            >
                            > Chris Georgenes wrote:
                            >
                            >> oh and graphics editor - photoshop is *not* the industry standard?
                            >> After Effects? Flash? Perhaps I have been under a rock the past decade
                            >> or so :)
                            >
                            >
                            > what kind of rock ? Sapphire :) ?
                            • 11. Re: Dear Adobe Asshats, (Yahoo toolbar)
                              CharlieWatts
                              I heard some funny names used to describe Adobe before, but I think "Asshat" tops the lot. :)
                              • 12. Re: Dear Adobe Asshats, (Yahoo toolbar)
                                Rafiq Elmansy, AEL, ACP Level 2
                                I do not see a problem in giving the option to download Yahoo bar with Flash player, I sa this option in many softwares. As long as I have the option, there is no problem.
                                And I am suprised from clintonG post, I have been using Photoshop and Flash years ago and did not see a better competitor.
                                • 13. Re: Dear Adobe Asshats, (Yahoo toolbar)
                                  cozzifantutti
                                  I am getting reports that users are not going to the download page, but instead are prompted to download the player via an alert box . When they say "Yes" to loading the player, the player with the Yahoo toolber is being installed automatically -- so they don't have the option to deselect the toolbar. How can one avoid installing the toolbar this way?
                                  • 14. Re: Dear Adobe Asshats, (Yahoo toolbar)
                                    Level 7
                                    If that is indeed the case, then that is a problem. Do you know if this is
                                    for Firefox or IE or some other browser?
                                    --
                                    Jeckyl