4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 23, 2006 8:38 PM by sergio_zambrano

LoadVariables not working on Windows

sergio_zambrano Level 1
      Sorry for posting this twice. Previous I didn't notice I was on "General Flash" and didn't see an "delete" or "move" option.

I'm loading variables from a .txt file on server (formatted as var1="text string 1"&var2="text string 2"…) on _level0 and then called from there all over the animation by buttons.

It works great since I work on Mac -and I imagine others would had stuck on the process not getting a thing- but not on PC (IE and FireFox). I haven't had that problem during the process, and now the animation is completelly finished but doesn't work on PCs.

I though flash animations were platform independent.

Details:

I've tested several computers under different networks.
      IE on Mac works fine too.
      Variables are loaded as loadVariables("vars.txt", _level0.myVars)

Then they are called with text = _level0[_level0.catname+_level0.decena+this._name.substr(4)]; (that addition builds the name of one of the variables with catname, decena, and a piece of the name of this button instance.

On PC works fine from the local machine.
      Security set to low on Browsers doesn't make any difference.

Ideas?

• 1. Re: LoadVariables not working on Windows
          I am having the same problem on a PC. It works fine locally, but when I publish it to the web it does not see the text. Yours works on a MAC on the web?

loadVariablesNum("privacy.txt", 0);
          • 2. LoadVariables not working on Windows
            sergio_zambrano Level 1
            quote:

Originally posted by: glwheeler
            I am having the same problem on a PC. It works fine locally, but when I publish it to the web it does not see the text. Yours works on a MAC on the web?

loadVariablesNum("privacy.txt", 0);

Yes, give me a link to yours or ask somebody having a Mac for test it.
            Also, mine only works with loadvariables("vars.txt", "_level0") but it doesn't work if I do loadvariables("vars.txt", 0)

Now I found out it works under my work's domain, on PC, but not under my page's server (freeservers.com)
            If anybody wants to see the problem, here is my web
            Once the text file is loaded, and after you selected a category, the left bottom area should be filled with the descriptions of the work shown at the right. The buttons and their clickeable areas are there, and working, but not the text.
            It works fine on Mac.
            • 3. Re: LoadVariables not working on Windows
              Your page works for me. I will try _level0 thanks. I will get back to you with a link. I am trying to figure out how to email it to you.

Thanks again
              • 4. Re: LoadVariables not working on Windows
                sergio_zambrano Level 1
                Sorry, I updated my website last week, before you ckecked it out probably.

I found my server blocking the variables to be read from the server. I tested it under my mother's, which is more than a "no ads" hosting, and it worked fine. If the page you have seen had frames, it's the new one. It keeps my domanin name at the address bar because it's the framed page. Inside it, is the actual page at www.mirnareiki.com/sergiozambrano/portfolio.html

My hosting tech support didn't replied yet, but it could be also that each site is located at different servers/computers, or they have a system for detect variables being read (they charge you more for using javascript and others), but only detecting it from PCs. I'm not 100% sure.

You don't need to email me your sample. It will work in my Mac if locally. The big test is from the internet. Just send me the link.