5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 18, 2008 9:36 AM by Newsgroup_User

Social Network Site Framework Recomendations

Level 7
      A new client has approached me with an idea to build a social network site.
      The site would be directed toward college "in class notes" and "homework
      assignments". Members would each have a personal page and there would be a
      general discussion forum. The site would allows members to upload text (in
      class notes and homework) and graphics (.jpg's) to be shared with and
      downloaded by other members. The site would have a search function to locate
      documents by class, instructor or subject.

My client wants to set this up for a single college but hopes to expand to
      more universities later.

I'm looking for recommendations, is there an existing framework for this
      type of site, preferably free and in php?

Jeff

• 1. Re: Social Network Site Framework Recomendations
          joeq Level 1
          that sounds like a great idea... i think i'll steal it.

(kidding, of course. but i'm wondering how your client would feel knowing that you were broadcasting his business venture to a pool of people who are potentially capable of pulling it off...)

quote:

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
          A new client has approached me with an idea to build a social network site.
          The site would be directed toward college "in class notes" and "homework
          assignments". Members would each have a personal page and there would be a
          general discussion forum. The site would allows members to upload text (in
          class notes and homework) and graphics (.jpg's) to be shared with and
          downloaded by other members. The site would have a search function to locate
          documents by class, instructor or subject.

My client wants to set this up for a single college but hopes to expand to
          more universities later.

I'm looking for recommendations, is there an existing framework for this
          type of site, preferably free and in php?

Jeff

• 2. Re: Social Network Site Framework Recomendations
            JoeDaSilva Level 4
            Hotscripts.com has a bunch, many of them are commerical and go for a few hundred dollars each. Just do a search for "myspace". There were a few free ones, but nothing that was reviewed very positively.
            • 3. Re: Social Network Site Framework Recomendations
              Level 7

> Hotscripts.com has a bunch,

searching on student or homework turns up some specialized prewritten ones
              also.

--
              Alan
              Adobe Community Expert, dreamweaver

http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/

• 4. Re: Social Network Site Framework Recomendations
                Level 7
                www.ning.com

"Jeff" <jeffs@NoSpamLamSam.com> wrote in message
                news:gidjho$1cm$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                >A new client has approached me with an idea to build a social network site.
                >The site would be directed toward college "in class notes" and "homework
                >assignments". Members would each have a personal page and there would be a
                >general discussion forum. The site would allows members to upload text (in
                >class notes and homework) and graphics (.jpg's) to be shared with and
                >downloaded by other members. The site would have a search function to
                >locate documents by class, instructor or subject.
                >
                > My client wants to set this up for a single college but hopes to expand to
                > more universities later.
                >
                > I'm looking for recommendations, is there an existing framework for this
                > type of site, preferably free and in php?
                >
                > Jeff
                >

• 5. Re: Social Network Site Framework Recomendations
                  Level 7
                  I'm not sure if they'll do what you want, but there are some Social
                  Networking "frameworks" out there that let you pick and choose the features
                  you want and customize it. They might work for what you want:

http://www.techcrunch.com/2007/07/24/9-ways-to-build-your-own-social-network/

http://www.elgg.org/

Etc

MD

Jeff wrote:
                  > A new client has approached me with an idea to build a social network
                  > site. The site would be directed toward college "in class notes" and
                  > "homework assignments". Members would each have a personal page and
                  > there would be a general discussion forum. The site would allows
                  > members to upload text (in class notes and homework) and graphics
                  > (.jpg's) to be shared with and downloaded by other members. The site
                  > would have a search function to locate documents by class, instructor
                  > or subject.
                  > My client wants to set this up for a single college but hopes to
                  > expand to more universities later.
                  >
                  > I'm looking for recommendations, is there an existing framework for
                  > this type of site, preferably free and in php?
                  >
                  > Jeff