5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 30, 2006 9:51 PM by kglad

Navigation Issue

Dennis_JM
      I’ve done Flash since the early versions but this one has me stumped. I’m using a standard action on a button that should advance to the next scene. On the first four scenes it does but won’t advance past the fourth scene but only returns to the first frame of the fourth scene. This in MX 2004 Pro 7.2

Here’s the standard script:

on (release) {
      gotoAndPlay(nextScene());
      }

I have this on its own layer at the top of the time line.

Thanks,

Dennis
        • 1. Re: Navigation Issue
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          don't use scene info for navigation and don't use the goto functions. use frame labels and the goto methods. for example:

• 2. Re: Navigation Issue
            Dennis_JM Level 1
            Thank you for your reply,Kglad. However, now the button does nothing at all. I even renamed the next scene "scene4" and labeled the first frame "frame1" as in your example. I'm attaching actions to the instance of the button (which I snatched from the Professional Sharp Slide template) not within the button's states.

Perhaps I'm denser than I imagine.

Dennis
            • 3. Re: Navigation Issue
              Nickels55 Level 2
              _root.gotoAndPlay("frame1_scene4");

That means go to the frame labeled "frame1_scene4", not frame 1 of scene 4.
              • 4. Re: Navigation Issue
                Dennis_JM Level 1
                Aaahhhhh . . .

Yes, that does it. Thanks. Essentially, I have to give each frame that I want to target for navigation an unique name. I wonder why the "nextscene" action no longer works reliably. I have dozens of Power Point type presentations that use this action but they were created in earlier versions of Flash.

Again, Thanks so much. I was totally beating my head against this one.

Dennis
                • 5. Re: Navigation Issue
                  kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                  using scenes to navigate can fail under a variety of circumstances. the most common occurs when authors move scenes after creation.