3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 25, 2006 3:47 AM by Newsgroup_User

Cutting out an image

azza_1992
      Hi everyone,
      I am a newbie so I apologise in advance if this is a stupid question or anything. I have only started using flash a few months ago and do not know much about it.
      How do I cut out part of a jpeg image. I have a picture of a dog standing on a beach. How can I edit it in flash to just show the dog with a transparent background around it. At the moment the best I can do is breakapart the image and erase the backround but it looks like the dogs been through a lawnmower by the time I've finished.
      I would greatly appreciate any help.
        • 1. Re: Cutting out an image
          pipeski Level 1
          Flash isn't an image editing application, so it's no wonder you're finding this difficult.

To remove the background of an image you'll need an image editing package such as Photoshop. Within Photoshop there's a handy tool called 'Extract' which is specifically designed for extracting items from their backgrounds.

Once you've extracted the dog from the background, export the image as a PNG with transparency and then import it into Flash. Job done.
          • 2. Re: Cutting out an image
            azza_1992 Level 1
            Thanks for your feedback.
            I have Paint Shop Pro 7 so I'm thinking if I cut out my dog, put a white layer underneath and set the opacity to 0% I should get the same effect. I'm guessing it won't work unless I save it as a png.
            Please correct me if I'm wrong.
            • 3. Re: Cutting out an image
              Level 7
              hard to say as some of us do not use paint shop pro and don't know what it can support in terms of
              alpha and formats like PNG that support alpha. best bet is to consult pain shop pro's help docs.

--> **Adobe Certified Expert**
              --> www.mudbubble.com
              --> www.keyframer.com

azza_1992 wrote:
              > Thanks for your feedback.
              > I have Paint Shop Pro 7 so I'm thinking if I cut out my dog, put a white layer
              > underneath and set the opacity to 0% I should get the same effect. I'm guessing
              > it won't work unless I save it as a png.
              > Please correct me if I'm wrong.
              >