4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 24, 2006 6:44 PM by

Run dll in actionscript

Does the actionscript support using dll written in C# ?
        • 1. Re: Run dll in actionscript
          Chafic
          You might want to clerify your question.. not sure where you want to do this exatly

1. Do you want to call a method to retrieve data from a dll?
          2. If so is the .Net Assembly (dll) hosted on a webserver?
          2. Is the swf file hosted in a web browser or is this a desktop application?
          3. Are you hoping for directly synchronous communication between ActionScript and C#?
          4. What does the Assembly do (dll). ASP.NET, WinForms, Data Access?
          5. Is this all to happen on the desktop?

If you are hoping to be able to talk directly a dll on the desktop, nope that is not interop story for doing that and I doubt there every will be as Flash is built to be cross-platform wherein the .Net runtime can be one day but is currently only available on WIndows.

The options you have for the desktop
          1. Embed the Flash Player within a Windows Forms .Net application and communicate from the Flash Player to the hosting application using ExternalInterface or some other mechanism
          2. Use a tool like Zinc http://www.multidmedia.com/software/zinc/ . This will allow you to build exe files from your swf file. I don't believe it currently has any direct hoocks to .Net assemblies but if I believe it does support C/C++ dlls.

Keep in mind, there won't be a way to do any of this within a web browser easily especially with the security restrictions browsers implement.

HTH

Chafic
          1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Run dll in actionscript
            Thanks.
            I have a dll written in C# and I want to call a method in the C# library.
            is it possible?
            • 3. Re: Run dll in actionscript
              Chafic Level 1
              I'd like to help answer your question but I need you to answer some questions on what you are trying to do. Specifically these questions

1. Do you want to call a method to retrieve data from a dll?
              2. If so is the .Net Assembly (dll) hosted on a webserver?
              2. Is the swf file hosted in a web browser or is this a desktop application?
              3. Are you hoping for directly synchronous communication between ActionScript and C#?
              4. What does the Assembly do (dll). ASP.NET, WinForms, Data Access?
              5. Is this all to happen on the desktop?

If you are hoping to write code in c# and load it and execute it directly as part of your application, then no there is no built in method to do that.
              • 4. Re: Run dll in actionscript
                >If you are hoping to write code in c# and load it and execute it directly as part of your application, then no there is no built in >method to do that.

It is what I want to know. Thanks.