4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2006 3:34 PM by erlendbv

Masking problems

erlendbv
      Hi.

I have stumbled over a masking-problem, that I hope you can help me solve. I have made a mask with a movie clip containing several graphic objects on separate layers. Please see reference image 1.

I tried to create a "splattering" effect, which I felt I did... until I played the result.

It seemes that overlapping content in the mask will null out the overlapping areas in the mask, and reveal content behind the masked layer. Please see reference image 2.

What I wanted was to reveal the masked layer only, not the content behind, so that it would look similar to reference image 1.

Please explain what I'm doing wrong and how I can fix this. :)

Thanks alot in advance! :D

Reference images
        • 1. Re: Masking problems
          DrEv1l
          well my experience with masks tells me that you'll have to use seperate masks for each graphic object...not sure though...maybe its worth a try

greets Dr Evil
          • 2. Re: Masking problems
            erlendbv Level 1
            Hi.

Thanks for the quick reply. :)

It is only one graphic that is masked. But the mask is built up by several layers of small splatter-symbols. Are you saying that I should separate each of these symbols in a separate mask? That would mean that I would have to assign several masks to one layer. Is that possible?
            • 3. Re: Masking problems
              DrEv1l Level 1
              well in code its normally possible, but if you're doing it on the timeline, you'll need 1 layer for each graphics OR you put all the graphics in 1 layer in 1 movieclip and make the animation IN the movieclip. That should work too

greetz

Dr Evil
              • 4. Re: Masking problems
                erlendbv Level 1
                quote:

Originally posted by: DrEv1l
                (...) if you're doing it on the timeline, you'll need 1 layer for each graphics OR you put all the graphics in 1 layer in 1 movieclip and make the animation IN the movieclip. That should work too

Are you talking about the root-timeline? On the root I have two layers. One with an image, and the other one which is a mask layer to the first. The mask layer contains a movie clip. This movie clip is my "splattering"-mask. The idea is that the image on the first layer of the root-timeline will be gradually revealed by the effect created in the movie clip lying on the mask layer.

The movie clip contains several layers. Each with a separate single "splat" motion tweened to create a realistic look.... well, at least good enough for me. :) - The problem mentioned appears when two layers in the movie clip are overlapping. This causes the mask to null out the overlapping areas when run.

Is this the same method you're describing? If so, what do you suggest the problem is?

And what suggestion do you have for solving this in the code? I assume you're talking about ActionScript? I'm open for anything as long as the problem gets solved. :D

Thanks alot for your help so far.