3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 12, 2006 7:46 AM by tdriley

Drive partitions

tdriley Level 1
      I'm making an app that detects drive letters, reads from one drive and writes to another. I will eventually want to distribute it on USB flash memory, but i'm having trouble creating dual partitions. Does anyone know which software I should use? All of the ones I have tried will only allow multiple partitions on fixed drives, not on removable ones.. But I'm sure it can be done.

Anyone?

T
        • 1. Re: Drive partitions
          Level 7
          > I'm making an app that detects drive letters, reads from one drive and
          > writes
          > to another. I will eventually want to distribute it on USB flash memory,
          > but
          > i'm having trouble creating dual partitions. Does anyone know which
          > software I
          > should use? All of the ones I have tried will only allow multiple
          > partitions on
          > fixed drives, not on removable ones.. But I'm sure it can be done.

Get yourself a version of Linux which will boot from the CD (eg Ubuntu,
          Lindows/Linspire, etc), boot into Linux and use the 'fdisk' from there.
          Fdisk in Linux is different from fdisk in Windows...

Regards,

Bruce

• 2. Re: Drive partitions
            tdriley Level 1
            Thanks for that, had fun playing with Ubuntu, but windows only sees the first partition I create, regardless of the type of partition.

T
            • 3. Re: Drive partitions
              tdriley Level 1
              Hi just bumping this up again because I've come back to this project and discovered this link in another post - http://www.udrw.com/en/tech/about.php

These look really usefull.. really interested of doing some authoring for them. Does anyone have experience of using these/similar things?

And

Does anyone know anything about the differences between Win Vista and XP in terms of removable partitions/USB autorun ?

T