2 Replies Latest reply: Nov 30, 2009 9:58 AM by VinWin25 RSS

Import Existing Web to Dreamweaver

edavis@fflkit.com Community Member
      How can I import existing webs i created with FrontPage/Expression web to Dreamweaver . I have about 5 published web sites and bought a MAC and decided to use Dreamweaver to maintain my website. Just got it in today.
      Can I import the entire site and work with it in dreamweaver if so how do I do this? Any and all help is appreciated. I do not use frontpage extensions so thats NOT a issue I just used FrontPage and expressionWeb to create websites using the WYSIWYG interface.
        • 1. Re: Import Existing Web to Dreamweaver
          Newsgroup_User Community Member
          WARNING - Using the "WYSIWYG" interface only in DW will prove to be a
          horribly frustrating experience. If you aren't prepared to spend some time
          preparing by learning some HTML and CSS, then DW may not be the right
          program for you. Expression Web is the same in that regard. There's no
          hand-holding smoke and mirrors in either.

To use your site you would just define a DW site that points into the root
          of the FP/EW site on your local hard drive. Please read DW's F1 Help about
          how to define a site to get started.

--
          Murray --- ICQ 71997575
          Adobe Community Expert
          (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
          ==================
          http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          ==================

"edavis@fflkit.com" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:gkj0es$9u1$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > How can I import existing webs i created with FrontPage/Expression web to
          > Dreamweaver . I have about 5 published web sites and bought a MAC and
          > decided
          > to use Dreamweaver to maintain my website. Just got it in today.
          > Can I import the entire site and work with it in dreamweaver if so how do
          > I do
          > this? Any and all help is appreciated. I do not use frontpage extensions
          > so
          > thats NOT a issue I just used FrontPage and expressionWeb to create
          > websites
          > using the WYSIWYG interface.
          >

• 2. Re: Import Existing Web to Dreamweaver
            VinWin25 Community Member

I also wish to import and existing Expression Web site into Dreamweaver.  I am concerned about file naming conventions...  Expression web automatically names some files with capital letters.  Many of the files I created used hyphens in the file name (-).  I understand that Dreamweaver does not allow these characters.  Will this cause a problem?