2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 21, 2006 4:47 PM by nHeroGo

General Approach to Web Application...

nHeroGo
      Flex is nice. I like it. Build a whole website in Flex and pull information from XML or ColdFusion. Make calls without leaving the page. Nice.

But...

From a user point of view, it is nice to be able to send an URL to a friend for them to click on to get to a particular "page" within a Flex-app. Can that even be done in Flex without starting from the homepage?

Or an even simpler thing. How about creating a link from one "page" to another "page" within a flex app. Can that be done? I'll give you a more descriptive example if you don't know what I mean. Let's say you are nytimes.com and you have lots of articles, and one arbitrary article/record mentions Adobe. It is custom to link to Adobe's stock quotes from within an article. In html, that would be pretty simple to achieve. How does Flex do it?

Those are two simple examples that are easy to achieve in html which connects the www. Search-robots requires links, but I don't know about robots going through flash-files.

What kind of work-arounds or approaches or measurements should I take to build flex-applications that can deal with every-day internet tasks. To always start at a home-page is not very cool. It is as annoying as describing to people how to click their way through a website with framesets.

Please feel free to give me any of your input,

///johan
        • 1. Re: General Approach to Web Application...
          peterent Level 2
          You have a lot of options. I'll try to answer your questions in the order you've asked them.

Flex has a history mechanism (the History Manager) associated with the Flex navigation containers: Accordion, TabNavigator, ViewStack, etc. If you use those controls to move from section to section of your application, you can grab the URL in the address bar and you should be able to give someone that URL.

However, you have to make sure your application does all of its initialization before jumping to a particular section. For example, if your application requires data to be loaded first, you'll need to do that before anyone can access other parts of the Flex application. Most people use Flex to write applications and not just web sites that can be done in HTML. Note that we saw "Flex application" and not "Flex site". So that's something to consider.

The navigators (eg, ViewStack) are commonly used to give the application "pages". The ViewStack, for example, only shows one of its children at a time. By changing the ViewStack's selectedIndex you change the children. You need to set up a Button or LinkButton control (or anything else you can imagine) whose event handler changes the ViewStack's selectedIndex.

The Flash Player can only display a handful of HTML tags. Check the Flex 2 documentation for the specifics. But the bottom-line is that you won't normally be able to include an article from another web site in the middle of the Flex application.

The Flash Player 9 has the ability to include special metadata that search engines are supposed to know how to extract. Again, consult the documentation.

I think if you go through the tutorials and examples, as well as experiment on your own, you should get a better feel for what Flex is all about.

• 2. Re: General Approach to Web Application...
            nHeroGo Level 1
            Thanks for the hints,

I will look into the components you mentioned.

///johan