31 Replies Latest reply on Aug 25, 2006 10:10 AM by Newsgroup_User

Projector Size - Loading issues

martynrlee Level 1
      Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone can help me with this; Im interested to know of any techniques to keep projector file sizes low. I am currently developing a portfolio cd with a number of MIAWs running from it.

The main projector file however is 45mb, it takes quite a while to load and can be a bit slow on some pcs. I have used a separate folder for my xtras, and choose not to embed the xtras in the movie. I have also tried using a really small exe file as a loader 'stub' projector (or at least i think im getting this right) then running each of the larger dir files from this exe. Doesnt seem to speed things up. Im using quite a lot of QTVR files but these arent embeded either.

Is there any major things im missing here? other than things like keeping your image files as small as possible (I use save for web in photoshop). What about using external casts and pre-caching etc - i know very little in these areas - but feel like that is whats missing.

All help most appreciated.

Martyn.
        • 1. Re: Projector Size - Loading issues
          Level 7
          Hi Martyn,

The best course of action is to create a stub projector. Look at the
          online help for fast start projector for more info.

--
          Rob
          _______
          Rob Dillon
          Adobe Community Expert
          http://www.ddg-designs.com
          412-243-9119

http://www.macromedia.com/software/trial/
          • 2. Re: Projector Size - Loading issues
            Level 7
            Assuming that you have done all the tricks correctly to make projector load
            as quickly as possible, there is one technique I have used before for
            Windows platform. If you include a bitmap file with the same name as the
            projector (except for the extension of course) Director will display it
            almost immediately. I usually make mine a screen capture of the interface
            with some sort of "Loading, please wait...." text displayed. This doesn't
            make the projector load any quicker, but it does give near immediate
            feedback to the user that something is happening after they launch the
            projector.

• 3. Re: Projector Size - Loading issues
              johnAq Level 1
              Definitely the stub projector will help load times. This technote is a good reference.

http://www.adobe.com/go/tn_14431

When you say it's 'slow to load' do you mean the initial load time, or load times between sections? Usually the main factor with the initial load time is actually the time it takes to load xtras - a lean xtras folder is key here. Keep reducing and testing until you've only got the essentials. There are a lot of xtras for the Director app that aren't required for projectors, but will staill get loaded at startup. If your first frame of the main file is simple, it shouldn't take long to display.

hth

johnAq
              • 4. Re: Projector Size - Loading issues
                martynrlee Level 1

The tech-note is really useful - i think last time I tried the stub projector i didnt create the projector as a shockwave projector - I have done that now and it really speeds up the initial load time.

I like the idea of using the bitmap screenshot image during loading - gonna give that a shot later

thanks for all your help on this one

Martyn.
                • 5. Re: Projector Size - Loading issues
                  Level 7
                  Be careful with shockwave projectors. If I am not mistaken, that will
                  require that the user has the shockwave plugin installed.

• 6. Re: Projector Size - Loading issues
                    Level 7
                    On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 13:16:12 GMT, Dave C posted in macromedia.director.lingo:

> Be careful with shockwave projectors. If I am not mistaken, that will
                    > require that the user has the shockwave plugin installed.

Not at all. Just include the files specified in item 25 of the technote.

--
                    Mark A. Boyd
                    Keep-On-Learnin' :)
                    • 7. Re: Projector Size - Loading issues
                      Level 7
                      Sorry and thanks Mark for correcting my bad info.

• 8. Re: Projector Size - Loading issues
                        Level 7
                        > > Be careful with shockwave projectors. If I am not mistaken, that will
                        > > require that the user has the shockwave plugin installed.
                        >
                        > Not at all. Just include the files specified in item 25 of the technote.

Though of course there are certainly other limitations with using shockwave.
                        If you need to use any non-shockwave-safe xtras, it won't work.

• 9. Re: Projector Size - Loading issues
                          Level 7
                          On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 14:43:03 GMT, Darrel Hoffman posted in
                          macromedia.director.lingo:

>> > Be careful with shockwave projectors. If I am not mistaken, that will
                          >> > require that the user has the shockwave plugin installed.
                          >>
                          >> Not at all. Just include the files specified in item 25 of the
                          >> technote.
                          >
                          > Though of course there are certainly other limitations with using
                          > shockwave. If you need to use any non-shockwave-safe xtras, it won't
                          > work.

Not so, my friend. It does work.

I use Shockwave compressed fast-start projectors and .dcr/.cct files in all
                          my CD projects. No Shockwave plugin required and Buddy API, Rosetta, fileIO,
                          etc. all work just fine.

The only time Shockwave-safe comes into the picture is when
                          the runMode = "Plugin"
                          which only happens when running in a Web browser (and possibly as an ActiveX
                          in some other environment).

In all projectors, SW or not, the runMode = "Projector" and the Xtras are in
                          the same environment.

--
                          Mark A. Boyd
                          • 10. Re: Projector Size - Loading issues
                            Level 7

>>
                            >> technote.
                            >
                            > work.

etc. all work just fine.

the runMode = "Plugin"

the same environment.

--
                            Mark A. Boyd
                            • 11. Re: Projector Size - Loading issues
                              Level 7

>>
                              >> technote.
                              >
                              > work.

etc. all work just fine.

the runMode = "Plugin"

the same environment.

--
                              Mark A. Boyd
                              • 12. Re: Projector Size - Loading issues
                                Level 7

>>
                                >> technote.
                                >
                                > work.

etc. all work just fine.

the runMode = "Plugin"

the same environment.

--
                                Mark A. Boyd
                                • 13. Re: Projector Size - Loading issues
                                  Level 7

>>
                                  >> technote.
                                  >
                                  > work.

etc. all work just fine.

the runMode = "Plugin"

the same environment.

--
                                  Mark A. Boyd
                                  • 14. Re: Projector Size - Loading issues
                                    Level 7

>>
                                    >> technote.
                                    >
                                    > work.

etc. all work just fine.

the runMode = "Plugin"

the same environment.

--
                                    Mark A. Boyd
                                    • 15. Re: Projector Size - Loading issues
                                      Level 7

>>
                                      >> technote.
                                      >
                                      > work.

etc. all work just fine.

the runMode = "Plugin"

the same environment.

--
                                      Mark A. Boyd
                                      • 16. Re: Projector Size - Loading issues
                                        Level 7

>>
                                        >> technote.
                                        >
                                        > work.

etc. all work just fine.

the runMode = "Plugin"

the same environment.

--
                                        Mark A. Boyd
                                        • 17. Re: Projector Size - Loading issues
                                          Level 7

>>
                                          >> technote.
                                          >
                                          > work.

etc. all work just fine.

the runMode = "Plugin"

the same environment.

--
                                          Mark A. Boyd
                                          • 18. Re: Projector Size - Loading issues
                                            Level 7

>>
                                            >> technote.
                                            >
                                            > work.

etc. all work just fine.

the runMode = "Plugin"

the same environment.

--
                                            Mark A. Boyd
                                            • 19. Re: Projector Size - Loading issues
                                              Level 7

>>
                                              >> technote.
                                              >
                                              > work.

etc. all work just fine.

the runMode = "Plugin"

the same environment.

--
                                              Mark A. Boyd
                                              • 20. Re: Projector Size - Loading issues
                                                Level 7

>>
                                                >> technote.
                                                >
                                                > work.

etc. all work just fine.

the runMode = "Plugin"

the same environment.

--
                                                Mark A. Boyd
                                                • 21. Re: Projector Size - Loading issues
                                                  Level 7

>>
                                                  >> technote.
                                                  >
                                                  > work.

etc. all work just fine.

the runMode = "Plugin"

the same environment.

--
                                                  Mark A. Boyd
                                                  • 22. Re: Projector Size - Loading issues
                                                    Level 7

>>
                                                    >> technote.
                                                    >
                                                    > work.

etc. all work just fine.

the runMode = "Plugin"

the same environment.

--
                                                    Mark A. Boyd
                                                    • 23. Re: Projector Size - Loading issues
                                                      Level 7

>>
                                                      >> technote.
                                                      >
                                                      > work.

etc. all work just fine.

the runMode = "Plugin"

the same environment.

--
                                                      Mark A. Boyd
                                                      • 24. Re: Projector Size - Loading issues
                                                        Level 7

>>
                                                        >> technote.
                                                        >
                                                        > work.

etc. all work just fine.

the runMode = "Plugin"

the same environment.

--
                                                        Mark A. Boyd
                                                        • 25. Re: Projector Size - Loading issues
                                                          Level 7

>>
                                                          >> technote.
                                                          >
                                                          > work.

etc. all work just fine.

the runMode = "Plugin"

the same environment.

--
                                                          Mark A. Boyd
                                                          • 26. Re: Projector Size - Loading issues
                                                            Level 7

>>
                                                            >> technote.
                                                            >
                                                            > work.

etc. all work just fine.

the runMode = "Plugin"

the same environment.

--
                                                            Mark A. Boyd
                                                            • 27. Re: Projector Size - Loading issues
                                                              Level 7

>>
                                                              >> technote.
                                                              >
                                                              > work.

etc. all work just fine.

the runMode = "Plugin"

the same environment.

--
                                                              Mark A. Boyd
                                                              • 28. Re: Projector Size - Loading issues
                                                                Level 7

>>
                                                                >> technote.
                                                                >
                                                                > work.

etc. all work just fine.

the runMode = "Plugin"

the same environment.

--
                                                                Mark A. Boyd
                                                                • 29. Re: Projector Size - Loading issues
                                                                  Level 7

>>
                                                                  >> technote.
                                                                  >
                                                                  > work.

etc. all work just fine.

the runMode = "Plugin"

the same environment.

--
                                                                  Mark A. Boyd
                                                                  • 30. Re: Projector Size - Loading issues
                                                                    Level 7

>>
                                                                    >> technote.
                                                                    >
                                                                    > work.

etc. all work just fine.

the runMode = "Plugin"

the same environment.

--
                                                                    Mark A. Boyd
                                                                    • 31. Re: Projector Size - Loading issues
                                                                      Level 7

>>
                                                                      >> technote.
                                                                      >
                                                                      > work.

etc. all work just fine.

the runMode = "Plugin"

the same environment.

--
                                                                      Mark A. Boyd