7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 25, 2006 6:50 AM by brainubmbc

Ajax

_flashNewbie
      Hi All-

Newbie here and am just starting to understand AJAX. However, I am not sure what I need. Do I need to have Flex to make AJAX applications?

Thanks,
      Flash
        • 1. Re: Ajax
          peterent Level 2
          No. Flex and Ajax are complimentary and independent technologies. Your best bet is to start off reading up on Flex here at our site and then check out Ajax on the internet (I don't have a URL for it handy).
          • 2. Re: Ajax
            brainubmbc
            Any idea when FlexAjax bridge is going to go mainstream? ;) I hear its just in alpha right now.
            • 3. Re: Ajax
              peterent Level 2
              I am not certain. If you go to labs.adobe.com and click the link for the Flex-Ajax bridge you'll see a link to a discussion group. I'm sure our engineers monitor it and could give you better information.
              • 4. Re: Ajax
                dishmael Level 1
                Just out of curiosity, why are you looking to integrate Flex and AJAX?

By definition, AJAX provides asynchronous communication between a web browser and server. In the past, I've used AJAX to do asynchronous work so that the browser doesn't lock up while doing back-end data processing. This approach has proven to be very effective in making web applications appear to run much, much faster. However, Flex is already asynchronous and can communicate with the back-end system without AJAX.

Given that, I'm just wondering why you'd want to use both?
                • 5. Re: Ajax
                  brainubmbc Level 1
                  ...No real specific reason.... It's just one of those things that may come in handy in the future, ya' know? A client I work for wants to start moving in tthe flex direciton, but they still like to use a lot of headers on their pages that use JavaScript. If the Flex/Ajax bridge ever gets widely supporeted by the browsers out there, I'm sure I might run into a situation where I'm in a pickle and a bridge might be the only solution.

quote:

Originally posted by: dishmael
                  Just out of curiosity, why are you looking to integrate Flex and AJAX?

By definition, AJAX provides asynchronous communication between a web browser and server. In the past, I've used AJAX to do asynchronous work so that the browser doesn't lock up while doing back-end data processing. This approach has proven to be very effective in making web applications appear to run much, much faster. However, Flex is already asynchronous and can communicate with the back-end system without AJAX.

Given that, I'm just wondering why you'd want to use both?

• 6. Re: Ajax
                    peterent Level 2
                    Here's another more offical link, although it still references the Flex-Ajax bridge on Adobe Labs:

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flex/flex_ajax.html
                    • 7. Re: Ajax
                      brainubmbc Level 1
                      Danke! That's definately getting bookmarked.