3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 16, 2006 3:07 AM by Newsgroup_User

Verity: more than 4 columns?

Loony2nz Level 1
      Hello,

I've been tasked recently to add a search engine to an internal project and this is my first foray into Verity with CF.

I've seen all the examples on the web regarding how to add a query to an index. But, what I've seen is that I can only index 4 columns (Custom1-4).

I have a table with about 20 columns that I would like to add to the search index. How do I add more than 4 columsn to the index?

Thank you!
        • 1. Re: Verity: more than 4 columns?
          Level 7
          Perhaps a closer inspection of the docs might help:
          http://livedocs.macromedia.com/coldfusion/7/htmldocs/00000278.htm

You can specify a QUERY attribute, and when doing so the BODY attribute is
          a list of the columns in said query to index.

--
          Adam
          • 2. Re: Verity: more than 4 columns?
            Loony2nz Level 1
            Thank Adam, but what the BODY attribute does is lumps all those fields into one field, "summary". This doesn't fit with what I'm trying to do. Here's an example.

table structure (scaled down of course)
            ID, fname, lastname, email, manager_fname, manager_lname, dept.

I would like to index all of those items, so that when someone types in the search box (google-style), "John", I get all the rows that contain "*john*" within the index.

a sample return would be:
            ID fname lname email manager_fname manager_lname dept
            3 john jones jjones fred hicks marketing
            4 jack smith jsmith john jones sales

any idea?

• 3. Re: Verity: more than 4 columns?
              Level 7
              > I would like to index all of those items, so that when someone types in the
              > search box (google-style), "John", I get all the rows that contain "*john*"
              > within the index.
              >
              > a sample return would be:
              > ID fname lname email manager_fname manager_lname dept
              > 3 john jones jjones fred
              > hicks marketing
              > 4 jack smith jsmith john
              > jones sales

OK, just because that's what Verity returns as its default summary doesn't
              mean you have to use that in your display. It also returns the key of the
              record, which you can then use to do a select query from the DB to return
              columnar data.

But to be honest, I'd not use Verity for this sort of thing. I'd just use
              a DB query in the first place, or hasve a look at what the full-text
              searching capabilities of your DB offers.

--
              Adam