4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2009 6:38 PM by ZookazRules

Testing and feedback needed for project

ZookazRules

here http://www.armoredlegion.com

we're looking for feedback and suggestions for our game armored legion

we've been working on it for about 4 months (minus a big break over christmas), it has about 16 planets to visit currently, procedurally generated (props and more distinguishing faetures are coming soon), and player versus player combat

the server is custom written in c++, there are about 15k npc's spread across the worlds currently, and several hundred players per world is supported

thanks

- ZookazRules
        • 1. Re: Testing and feedback needed for project
          Level 7
          This is nice, but sorry - I simply cannot accept worlds with no
          lightmaps and shadows any more. This is 2009 not 1999 !!!

Rgs,
          Ziggi
          • 2. Re: Testing and feedback needed for project
            tyree_2 Level 2
            I can understand you leaning towards lightmaps but shadows have no effect on gameplay. graphics and gameplay are a seperate matter. having one does not ensure the other. zookaz your game looks alright its a turn based game. while it would take longer why not make an action based version of it in the future. I think this would be more engaging
            • 3. Re: Testing and feedback needed for project
              Nanomedia Level 1
              quote:

Originally posted by: ZookazRules

http://www.armoredlegion.com

we're looking for feedback and suggestions for our game armored legion

Very nice for a chat room.
              • 4. Re: Testing and feedback needed for project
                ZookazRules Level 1
                quote:

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
                This is nice, but sorry - I simply cannot accept worlds with no
                lightmaps and shadows any more. This is 2009 not 1999 !!!

I've been pretty busy this week with real work (sigh), but I made a few minutes to throw in a quick shadow, just for you :)

As for lightmaps, although they're trivial to add, I haven't for a couple of reasons. First off, the DCR is already getting a little large and there are so many other things that would offer more bang for the buck. Secondly, I don't really think they're all that necessary for these landscapes. I can't imagine much benefit to lightmapping some hills. If I were to add some buildings, some ruins, etc... then its an area to revisit.

To tyree_2: The combat was a design choice, real-time wouldn't have taken any longer to implement. I grew up on games like Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger, and similar games, so I wanted to bring back that style of combat in this one. In time more options, as well as group combat, etc... will be added.

To Nanomedia: I'm not quite sure what you mean by that? Unless you had an existing account, you should have been taken through a tutorial and given a chance at combat right away.