• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

19.012.20036 introduced Cannot extract the embedded font 'HNQFLR+StoneSansLT-Identity-H' error

Community Beginner ,
Aug 14, 2019 Aug 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have installed the update to 19.012.20036 and our PDFs now give this error.

Cannot extract the embedded font 'HNQFLR+StoneSansLT-Identity-H'. Some characters may not display or print correctly.

These SDS are generated from a software package, and have been working since 2011.

This is a production stopping issue, does anyone have any ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Stever,

We're sorry for the trouble you had, would you mind sharing the complete workflow of generating the PDF files?

Which application are you using to generate the PDF files?

Are you getting this error message when you view the PDF file in the freeware Adobe Reader desktop application?

Are you on a Windows machine or Mac and what is the version?

Would it be possible to share a sample PDF file with us so that we can test it at our end? Share the PDF file in a private message only How Do I Send  Private Message | Adobe Community

Thanks,

Anand Sri.

[Edited response]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The PDF is generated with an internal application that is maintained by our overseas office.

The error is in the free Adobe Reader DC, the issue started with the update from yesterday.

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Our programmer has sorted out the issue. He reformatted the font file to meet the new standards.

Thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2019 Aug 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you expand on this? Our PDFs in question are being created using Tableau and I'm wondering if there's changes they can make on their end.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2019 Aug 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve, what did your programmer do to sort out the issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 15, 2019 Aug 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi AnandSri

I've got a PDF here with the same problem. I could reproduce the issue with the newest version of Adobe Reader DC 20019.012.20036, and it worked with the previous version (20034).

Edit: I've sent my PDF to AnandSri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Until the cause of the problem is found, can Adobe create an update that removes the changes made by the 19.012.20036 update?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. Please roll back the release until this issue is addressed, and then release new version. This is a major issue, and must be addressed as such.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to hear that the issue got fixed.

Feel free to contact us for any further assistance.

Regards,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, we got same issue since the Adobe reader client was upgraded to 19.012.20036 Cannot extract the embedded font 'DVMXLG+ProximaNovaA-Regular-Idneitty-H' error. Any solution to fix it or Adobe will provide patch? Cheers,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. Thousands of PDFs at my company that we have been using without issue for years now suddenly give the error below. Unacceptable. Adobe says they will not support the issue because Adobe Reader is a free application. Customers and engineers are without recourse for the time being. Please fix this Adobe!

Error:

Cannot extract the embedded font 'PIVCSH+AvenirNext LT Pro Regular-Identity-H'. Some characters may not display or print correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's apparently not only the free Adobe Reader application, that is affected by the issue, since we have the same problem with Adobe Acrobat Pro DC.

I'd be very curious to have more insights into the issue. Right now I don't really understand if I need to...

1. request new font files from the font creator (?) or ...
  2. edit the original font files and if so, how (?) or  ...
  3. tell the third-party company, that creates our pdf invoices, to embed the fonts in a different way, and if so, how (?).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I have reported this to the Engineering team for further investigation. If possible, please share a sample PDF file through which you can reproduce the issue in private message only How Do I Send Private Message

Upload the sample file in Document Cloud Storage https://documentcloud.adobe.com

Generate the share link, and share it in private message.

Thanks,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue that started yesterday (08/14/2019).  Noticed that the problem was with Adobe Acrobat DC version 19.012.20036.  Another co-worker's Adobe hadn't updated yet and was still on 19.012.20035 and it DIDN'T have this error. Any of the files generated by this company will show this error no matter if it's brand new or 2+ years old. The same files open just fine in any other PDF software, including web browsers.  I'll send a file to Anand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue. I am assuming that there will be an update issued to resolve this so i am going to follow this post to get the update.  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah this is a huge problem at our office after we upgraded to 2019.012.20036. Suddenly we can't read any of our documentation that we've been reading in Adobe reader for years. I imagine our phones are going to start blowing up as soon as our customers upgrade their Adobe versions as well. I will also send sample PDFs in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 16, 2019 Aug 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Thanks for your time and patience, the issue has been reported to the development team for further investigation and for fix. I will share an update soon.

Regards,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have the same problem with other font:

Cannot extract the embedded font 'FKRCPY+Secca-Thin-Identity- H'. Some characters may not display or print correctly.

Adobe Acrobat DC version 19.012.20036.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We also have the same issue. Rendering our PDFs with the TTF version of the font instead of the OTF version makes the error go away, but that's not really a final solution. We need to be able to use OTF fonts too!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem with Font Awesone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is with Reader and with Pro; I have both. Adobe Support says that they don't support any third-party fonts not installed via Typekit. Their solution was for me to purchase Typekit to generate the PDFs.

That is not a solution for many, many, many reasons. The most important of which is this is not just for newly-generated PDFs, it is for ALL PDFs. So our customers can't read content in our PDFs that we've been generating for the last 5 years with the "offending" fonts. Pro and Reader MUST be fixed. It is impossible to re-generate all the PDFs we've created over the last 5 years and get them in the hands of all the right people.

If you are experiencing this issue, I have found that opening the PDF in MS Edge or Google Chrome allows you to see the embedded fonts, further giving proof that this is an Adobe issue, not a PDF/generator issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 17, 2019 Aug 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

The engineering teams are aware of the issue and further investigating the root cause. We will share an update on this issue soon.

Appreciate your patience.

Regards,

Vinod

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2019 Aug 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have the same issue and waiting for your solution since 14th Aug. Kindly follow up with your Engg team and update with a permanent fix asap

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2019 Sep 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Vinod, I noticed that the fix for this issue DC Aug 2019 (19.012.20040) is an optional update. Is there any way for this to be a continuous update? Because people who use our documents are still experiencing this problem because they are unaware of the optional update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines