6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 16, 2006 6:21 PM by david_k

Flash nav targeting html frames...

King86
      I have NO idea why, I've read all the posts about having a flash nav menu target a frame within a HTML frameset. I even set up a quick test... (I'm using flash MX2004 professional so you all know)

Ok, this is what I did....
      I created a framset in Dreamweaver using their fixed top frameset. So there's a top nav frame, and a bottom content frame.
      the frame holding the flash nav is called header.htm. The content frame is called main.htm (or the default htm page that opens in that frame) The frameset master of course is called index.htm.

I created a test flash nav with 2 quick buttons. This is the code on the first and second buttons...
      first button:
      on (release) {
      getURL("test1.htm","mainFrame")
      }

second button:
      on (release) {
      getURL("test2.htm","mainFrame")
      }

As you can see I'm targeting the content frame which is named "mainFrame" in the index page like this:

<frameset rows="119,*" cols="*" framespacing="0" frameborder="NO" border="0">
      <frame src="header.htm" name="topFrame" scrolling="NO" noresize >
      <frame src="main.htm" name="mainFrame">
      </frameset>

So, I run the whole thing and instead of the flash nav pointing at the "mainFrame" frame, it just opens a whole new window! I've researched all over the place, and i'm not new to flash, i've done some advanced stuff, so you would think this would be a simple endeavor... Am I truely that stupid, or is this an issue with flash targeting framesets?? PLEASEHELP!!
        • 1. Re: Flash nav targeting html frames...
          Nickels55 Level 2
          http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_12791

It says there if the frameset doesn't exist it will open in a new window. I know I read what you wrote and it all looks good to me too...

The only thing I can see is that maybe your url doesn't need to be in quotes inside of your getUrl command:
          getURL(test2.htm,"mainFrame")

or maybe Flash just doesn't like the name mainFrame???
          • 2. Re: Flash nav targeting html frames...
            King86 Level 1
            according to the getURL syntax, the URL has to be in quotes. I even went and changed the frame name in the index.htm and flash to target the "lower" frame (which I don't think mainFrame is an illegal name) and it still opens a new browser window. I don't get it.... I've seen some people say the target does not have to be in quotes, as in the tech sheet that you referenced above, but it does the same thing... anything else I can try? I'm just floored that something that should be so easy is so difficult.. strange...
            • 3. Re: Flash nav targeting html frames...
              Level 7
              Did you heard about _blank , _self , _parent , ....??? maybe is something to
              do with the names you are using...

i didnt understand much ur problem but first thing u have to be familiar
              with those things.. i hope that helps.

"King86" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> escribi� en el mensaje
              news:ea8kmo$fd8$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > according to the getURL syntax, the URL has to be in quotes. I even went
              > and
              > changed the frame name in the index.htm and flash to target the "lower"
              > frame
              > (which I don't think mainFrame is an illegal name) and it still opens a
              > new
              > browser window. I don't get it.... I've seen some people say the target
              > does
              > not have to be in quotes, as in the tech sheet that you referenced above,
              > but
              > it does the same thing... anything else I can try? I'm just floored that
              > something that should be so easy is so difficult.. strange...
              >

• 4. Re: Flash nav targeting html frames...
                I had the same problem. Even a targeted frame that had worked before suddenly stopped working. Then I realized that it was because I had installed Flash Player 9.

There's a TechNote on this 'emerging issue' at http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=50c1cf38

Problem is, there's no answer about how to target a named frame. The TechNote only provides a solution for using _self, _parent, and _top. The information states that when you target a named frame, Flash Player 9 will open the page in a new window. The author of the TechNote doesn't recognize this as a problem.

If anyone else figures out how to successfully target a named frame in Flash Player 9, I'd love to hear it!
                • 5. Re: Flash nav targeting html frames...
                  Since posting the message above, I discovered that targeting a named frame does work in Flash Player 9 once it's published on a server... it was just a local preview problem.
                  • 6. Re: Flash nav targeting html frames...
                    david_k
                    THAT has to be the dumbest thing I have ever seen... recently. I was having the same issue also, in dreamweaver/flash combination. I fIgured I'd try and upload everything and see how it works. VIOLA!
                    Problem fixed. So it's a local preview problem. Hope Adobe can jump on this one. How else would you know everything works.

<sigh>
                    david