• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom classic CC stuck on "Reading preferences" (splash screen)

New Here ,
Aug 18, 2019 Aug 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom classic CC is not starting on my PC (Win 7, 64 bit). It gets stuck on the splash screen during the "reading preferences" part. I've tried almost everything: restart PC (because the process cannot even be killed in task manager), uninstall LR, uninstall the whole CC, not keep preferences during uninstall, update Windows, delete preferences folder manually, take the PC offline; but still, the same issue EVERY SINGLE TIME. Has anyone experienced this and/or has a solution?

Also, can anyone recommend alternatives to LR? Adobe is really beginning to annoy me - ever since I've known their software, it has been either slow, un-intuitive, unstable, or all of these combined. And on top of this, it has always cost a lot of money for its poor performance. Really disappointed, because what you can do with the tools is really great 😞

[Moved by moderator from  Adobe Creative Cloud to Lightroom Classic — The desktop-focused app]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue after the update. Windows 10, 64 bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

andys55660000  wrote

Lightroom classic CC is not starting on my PC (Win 7, 64 bit). It gets stuck on the splash screen during the "reading preferences" part. I've tried almost everything: restart PC (because the process cannot even be killed in task manager), uninstall LR, uninstall the whole CC, not keep preferences during uninstall, update Windows, delete preferences folder manually, take the PC offline; but still, the same issue EVERY SINGLE TIME. Has anyone experienced this and/or has a solution?

Also, can anyone recommend alternatives to LR? Adobe is really beginning to annoy me - ever since I've known their software, it has been either slow, un-intuitive, unstable, or all of these combined. And on top of this, it has always cost a lot of money for its poor performance. Really disappointed, because what you can do with the tools is really great 😞

[Moved by moderator from  Adobe Creative Cloud to Lightroom Classic — The desktop-focused app ]

That “reading preferences” part. Leads me to think the preferences file may be corrupt. Corrupt preferences files are not uncommon. Resetting (deleting and letting LR recreate) preferences files is a common magic fix. It is also a common diagnostic tip (as in, is your preference file corrupt)

Links following tell you how, mind you the step in looking at your existing preferences is not possible in your case (it is a step in which you note and wright down current settings as most options will revert to default)

How to set Lightroom Classic preferences

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bARt-hoCc2Q

How To Reset Photoshop Preferences

Recover catalog and images after resetting preferences in Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic   (might not be an issue)

Replacing the Lightroom Preference File – Page 745 – Lightroomers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 14, 2022 Jul 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Corrupt preferences files are not uncommon."

This is true. It makes me wonder the use of saving our preferences if we have to reset them every week!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I now see that you already tried this, my bad, but perhaps it will help Jlevineah

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A possible by the way. After resetting the preference file, shut the PC off, then turn back on. Force a cold boot, just in case that preference file is getting recreated with data in RAM. Then restart LR

Turning off Lightroom’s GPU preferences even when crashing on startup. – Lightroom Blog

not normal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Annoying, aren’t I

Also not normal, the instructions typically talk about one preference file, the list file, perhaps while you are at it the agprefs file as well?

also from Turning off Lightroom’s GPU preferences even when crashing on startup. – Lightroom Blog

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davidg36166309  wrote

Also not normal, the instructions typically talk about one preference file, the list file, perhaps while you are at it the agprefs file as well?

also from Turning off Lightroom’s GPU preferences even when crashing on startup. – Lightroom Blog

This could well be a GPU problem.

On Windows, the preferences file is named Lightroom Classic CC 7 Preferences.agprefs

It is found here: C:\Users\User name\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom\Preferences

Open the file in a plain text editor, like Notepad.

Change useAutoBahn = true, to useAutoBahn = false,

Save and close the file, then try to launch Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2019 Aug 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK - I have had this same problem since the Windows update and tried everything without success.  Finally, finally, fixed it.

There is a folder inside

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\CEP\extensions: LogiOptionsAdobe

I dragged that folder out of the directory structure. 

I also saw that there is a Plugin in the Lightroom Plugin Manager for LogiOptions, and I disabled it.

Everything is back to normal now!!!

Hope this helps someone before they remove all their preferences and settings and plugins.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, a new problem by the Logitech Options plug-in.

Another one occurs when you delete multiple images and you might occasionally get the error:

“An internal error occurred: ?:0: attempt to index a nil value."

As you you have the Logitech Options software on your computer, make sure it is up to date, a cyber security issue exists with older versions. Also, if you are using the Logitech dongle, update its firmware, similar issue.

After the update, you might find the plug-in is enabled again, disable it.

Disabling the plug-in will only effect using any special features for the keyboard or mouse from within LR, if you do not use those, no big deal.

Vulnerability: Logitech Options users should uninstall immediately (updated)

Logitech mouse, keyboards could be vulnerable to 'MouseJack' - Business Insider

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

flanger11  wrote

OK - I have had this same problem since the Windows update and tried everything without success.  Finally, finally, fixed it.

There is a folder inside

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\CEP\extensions: LogiOptionsAdobe

I dragged that folder out of the directory structure. 

I also saw that there is a Plugin in the Lightroom Plugin Manager for LogiOptions, and I disabled it.

Everything is back to normal now!!!

Hope this helps someone before they remove all their preferences and settings and plugins.

You might want to share this over at: Lightroom Classic 8.4: Hanging on launch (Mac 10.14.6) | Photoshop Family Customer Community

Oh, and outside of Lightroom, I think the location of the plug-in is as follows (delete the offending logitech options one)

WIN

c:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom\Modules

in case you cannot launch LR to disable the plug-in, instead remove it outside of LR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Following not likely, but corrupt catalog issue? Would think you would progress further along if that was the case. Anyhow

Start Lightroom Classic using a keyboard/mouse click combination. Hold the Option (MAC) or Cntrl (WIN) key when clicking on the LR shortcut.

A ”Select Catalog”  screen should show up, select new. catalog.

info on keyboard/mouse combo from:

Julieanne Kost's Blog | LR3 – Selecting a Catalog when Launching Lightroom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2023 Dec 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bonsoir, suite aux problèmes avec les lightrooms , j'ai déactivé la carte graphique dans les préférences, pour l'instant cela fonctionne, mon ordi est ancien donc cela va avec ce problème.

Cordialement

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 06, 2023 Dec 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You’ve posted to an ancient thread. It is highly unlikely that the issue described in this thread, though not impossible, is the same one you are currently experiencing. Rather than resurrect an old thread that is seemingly similar, you are better off posting to a new thread with fresh, complete information, including system information, a complete description of the problem, and step-by-step instructions for reproduction. 

If the issue is the same, we will merge you back into the appropriate location. 

Thank you!

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines