5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2006 7:47 AM by Newsgroup_User

4 things about fireworks the drive me nuts :-)

Grif_
      Fireworks 8 | Quad G5 | 7GB Ram | MacOSX 10.4.7

Hey folks. Thought i'd vent my frustration at an otherwise great program. Maybe, someone might be able to shed some light. I've been using FW for years now primarily becasue it has always been better at outputting web based graphics that P.shop or Image Ready. 2 of the main areas it wins hands-down are it's ability to turn off anti-aliasing at object level (specifically lines) and also it's ability to have a solid colour snap to an adaptive palette without dithering. Photoshop has always driven me nuts that you can't create a 'rounded corner shape', and give it a perfect single pixel stroke without anti-alias. But enough about pshop...on to my fireworks gripes.

1st. I use a Wacom Intuos3 Tablet, it has replaced my mouse for even the finder. But, in Fireworks, it lags, really badly. It's selections can take seconds to actually select and it's clicks can lag very badly also. This is probably my biggest probelm right now. I also find that with a document that has a few frames that it gets very slow.

2nd. Auto Shapes. I use them quite a bit to create rounded boxes for headers, buttons etc. but there's one major problem that stands out a mile. the 'corner radius' itsn't consistant at each corner. If i create a rectangle with rounded edges set to say '5' each corner will have a different amount of pixels shift. Now, a lot of the time, these graphics get spliced up to tiny components like a corner or left-edge, right-edge and centre of a button to be used later in a css based implementation. but it's still annoying to have to flip a left edge to get a match on the right. If i set a certain corner radius for all corners i would expect to get exactly the same results at all corners. but this has never been the case.

3rd. the gradient angle. If you set a gradient with a dark colour against a light colour in the middle of the gradient and rotate to get it to run from top-bottom the angle will almost always be off slightly. you have to pull the gradient angle tool out, try to get it so the line is vertical then hold down shift key to see if the 90deg angle will hold, a lot of times it does not.

4th Undo in a text box. This has the effect of not undoing the last modification, but undoing any modification to the box as a whole. Many times have i had to retyoe stuff because the undo erased the whole thing.

If you need clarification or examples i can post links.

Generally tho, i still use fireworks as i find it faster in the long run, but these little bugs make it very annoying to use when, to me, they would seem failry simple to straighten out.

Are we destined to see Fireworks thrown in the trash for Image Ready? I hope not, as it has many benefits over p.shop/image ready and i certainly don't want to get stuck having to use thoem for web graphics.

Cheers
      Grif
        • 1. Re: 4 things about fireworks the drive me nuts :-)
          Level 7
          On 25 Jul 2006 in macromedia.fireworks, Grif_ wrote:

> Fireworks 8 | Quad G5 | 7GB Ram | MacOSX 10.4.7
          >
          > Hey folks. Thought i'd vent my frustration at an otherwise great
          > program. Maybe, someone might be able to shed some light.
          [snip]
          > Are we destined to see Fireworks thrown in the trash for Image
          > Ready? I hope not, ...

Macrodobe monitors the forums only occasionally. However, you might want
          to send your message direct to Adobe:

http://www.adobe.com/misc/csform.html

--
          Joe Makowiec
          http://makowiec.net/
          Email: http://makowiec.net/email.php
          • 2. Re: 4 things about fireworks the drive me nuts :-)
            Level 7
            On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 16:27:36 +0000 (UTC), "Grif_"
            <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote:

>Fireworks 8 | Quad G5 | 7GB Ram | MacOSX 10.4.7
            >
            > Hey folks. Thought i'd vent my frustration at an otherwise great program.
            >Maybe, someone might be able to shed some light. I've been using FW for years
            >now primarily becasue it has always been better at outputting web based
            >graphics that P.shop or Image Ready. 2 of the main areas it wins hands-down are
            >it's ability to turn off anti-aliasing at object level (specifically lines) and
            >also it's ability to have a solid colour snap to an adaptive palette without
            >dithering. Photoshop has always driven me nuts that you can't create a 'rounded
            >corner shape', and give it a perfect single pixel stroke without anti-alias.
            >But enough about pshop...on to my fireworks gripes.
            >
            > 1st. I use a Wacom Intuos3 Tablet, it has replaced my mouse for even the
            >finder. But, in Fireworks, it lags, really badly. It's selections can take
            >seconds to actually select and it's clicks can lag very badly also. This is
            >probably my biggest probelm right now. I also find that with a document that
            >has a few frames that it gets very slow.
            >

Check your Wacom drivers for the latest version. I use a Wacom
            Graphire 3 exclusively and don't have any lag problems.

Win
            -
            Win Day, Wild Rose Websites
            http://www.wildrosewebsites.com
            winday@NOSPAMwildrosewebsites.com
            Skype winifredday
            • 3. Re: 4 things about fireworks the drive me nuts :-)
              Level 7

Grif_ wrote:
              > Fireworks 8 | Quad G5 | 7GB Ram | MacOSX 10.4.7

>
              > 1st. I use a Wacom Intuos3 Tablet, it has replaced my mouse for even the
              > finder. But, in Fireworks, it lags, really badly. It's selections can take
              > seconds to actually select and it's clicks can lag very badly also. This is
              > probably my biggest probelm right now. I also find that with a document that
              > has a few frames that it gets very slow.

I also find it slow to respond with the latest Wacom drivers on a killer
              computer. It is specially visible when drawing circles at slow-medium
              speed - let alone fast. Other applications have no problem with this.
              WinXP Pro.

>
              > 2nd. Auto Shapes. I use them quite a bit to create rounded boxes for headers,
              > buttons etc. but there's one major problem that stands out a mile. the 'corner
              > radius' itsn't consistant at each corner. If i create a rectangle with rounded
              > edges set to say '5' each corner will have a different amount of pixels shift.
              > Now, a lot of the time, these graphics get spliced up to tiny components like a
              > corner or left-edge, right-edge and centre of a button to be used later in a
              > css based implementation. but it's still annoying to have to flip a left edge
              > to get a match on the right. If i set a certain corner radius for all corners i
              > would expect to get exactly the same results at all corners. but this has never
              > been the case.
              >
              A work-around for getting the same corner roundness on rectangles
              created with the Rounded Rectangle auto shape is to create the first one
              and give the corners the radius you want. Then copy and paste this
              rectangle and resize the new one(s).
              • 4. Re: 4 things about fireworks the drive me nuts :-)
                Grif_ Level 1
                Thanks for that guys.
                OK, in realtion to wacom thing, i had latest driver, and i have tried the beta one also. i still get odd behaviour. To recreate. simply hold down the spacebar to get hand tool, move a page up a bit and for some reason the hand tool changes back to arrow for about a second, this is enough to grab anything under it and move it if you you're moving around quickly. I still get "selection lag". click with type tool in any text box, make selection then hit delete, chances are it will delete something other than the actual text i tried to select. Also, with arrow ool selected, click and drag on a blank document a few times, all of a sudden you see that the origination of the click point is lagged which results in inaccurate selections.
                I have tried with various settings in the wacom cp.

In relation to the autoshape rounded corners. I cannot recreate the fix for the rounded corner box, the pasted object is still incorrect.
                • 5. Re: 4 things about fireworks the drive me nuts :-)
                  Level 7
                  On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 13:11:40 +0000 (UTC), "Grif_"
                  <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote:

>Thanks for that guys.
                  > OK, in realtion to wacom thing, i had latest driver, and i have tried the beta
                  >one also. i still get odd behaviour. To recreate. simply hold down the spacebar
                  >to get hand tool, move a page up a bit and for some reason the hand tool
                  >changes back to arrow for about a second, this is enough to grab anything
                  >under it and move it if you you're moving around quickly. I still get
                  >"selection lag". click with type tool in any text box, make selection then hit
                  >delete, chances are it will delete something other than the actual text i tried
                  >to select. Also, with arrow ool selected, click and drag on a blank document a
                  >few times, all of a sudden you see that the origination of the click point is
                  >lagged which results in inaccurate selections.
                  > I have tried with various settings in the wacom cp.
                  >

Must be peculiar to the Intuos tablet then, or the Mac. I've got a
                  Wacom Graphire on a PC, and I don't get any of those symptoms.

Try asking Wacom, maybe?

Win
                  --
                  Win Day, Wild Rose Websites
                  http://www.wildrosewebsites.com
                  winday@NOSPAMwildrosewebsites.com
                  Skype winifredday