6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2006 5:39 PM by Newsgroup_User

Wait on frame until video finishes?

kalibahlutwo
      Hello,

Does anyone know if there's a way to tell flash to wait on a frame until a video finishes playing, and then go to the next frame? (I'm using progressive download. It has audio that needs to stay in sync.)

Thank you for your help!
        • 1. Re: Wait on frame until video finishes?
          Level 7
          kalibahlutwo,

> Does anyone know if there's a way to tell flash to wait
          > on a frame until a video finishes playing, and then go to
          > the next frame?

Sure thing. :)

> (I'm using progressive download. It has audio that
          > needs to stay in sync.)

Progressive download of what -- the video? Audio needs to stay in sync
          with what -- the video, or maybe a movie clip in the Flash movie?

> Thank you for your help!

I'll be glad to help, but I'll need a bit more information. How are you
          displaying the video? One of the Media Components, FLVPlayback Component,
          something else?

David
          stiller (at) quip (dot) net
          Dev essays: http://www.quip.net/blog/
          "Luck is the residue of good design."

• 2. Re: Wait on frame until video finishes?
            kalibahlutwo Level 1
            Hi David,

Thank you for your reply! I have a flash movie with 2 frames, and on the first, I have imported an FLV and on import chose "progressive", rather than embedding the video, because I read that if the video has audio in it, it will stay syncronized better with progressive than with embedded video. On import, Flash automatically put the video into an FLVPlayback component. I would like to have the video play to the end, and then have the Flash movie automatically go to the next frame.

Sorry for not being clear before and thank you for taking the time to ask for clarification to my vagueness. :-)
            • 3. Re: Wait on frame until video finishes?
              Level 7
              kalibahlutwo,

> I have imported an FLV and on import chose "progressive",
              > rather than embedding the video, because I read that if the
              > video has audio in it, it will stay syncronized better with
              > progressive than with embedded video.

I can neither confirm nor deny which plays better. But it's good to
              know we're dealing with external video.

> Flash automatically put the video into an FLVPlayback
              > component.

Yupper. :) Now we're getting warmer.

> I would like to have the video play to the end, and then
              > have the Flash movie automatically go to the next frame.

Here's the scoop. Just about everything in ActionScript can be
              described as an object. Objects are defined by something called classes,
              which you may think of as object blue prints. The FLVPlayback Component,
              for example, is defined by the FLVPlayback class, and you can look up this
              class entry in your documentation. Components are listed in the Component
              Language Reference and ActionScript clases are listed in the ActionScript
              2.0 Language Reference.

Classes define the properties of an object (the characteristics it has),
              its methods (things it can do), and its events (things it can react to). So
              class entries should definitely be your first stop, always. If you're
              dealing with a movie clip, look up the MovieClip class. If you're dealing
              with a dynamic or input text field, look up the TextField class, and so on.

Consulting the FLVPlayback class, then, we find that "FLVPlayback
              extends the MovieClip class and wraps a VideoPlayer object.." Okay, what
              does that mean? Well, in this context, it means that any FLVPlayback
              instance -- such as the one on your Stage -- contains all the features
              (properties, methods, and events) of a movie clip, because it *extends* the
              MovieClip class. So this particular case is something of a wild goose
              chase. Normally, the answers you want are already at hand. FLVPlayback is
              a little different. But the documentation continues: "... and wraps a
              VideoPlayer object," so now we know to get more information by looking up
              the VideoPlayer class.

Bingo. Here's were we find the answer. The VideoPlayer class includes
              an event VideoPlayer.complete (see the Events summary in its class entry).
              It also contains a method VideoPlayer.addEventListener(), which means we can
              "listen" for the complete event. Good news.

So ... give your FLVPlayback Component instance an instance name.
              Select it and look at the Property inspector. Let's name it vp, short for
              video player. Create a new layer and name it "scripts" -- this is where
              we'll put your ActionScript.

var listener:Object = new Object();
              listener.complete = function() {
              trace("complete!");
              };
              vp.addEventListener("complete", listener);

Here's what's going on. Events of the sort we're dealing with can be
              handled with a listener. A listener is just a generic Object instance -- so
              in line 1, we're declaring a variable arbitrarily named listener. It's of
              type Object and is set to a new Object instance.

This listener object acts as a proxy for the FLVPlayer (actually, the
              VideoPlayer) complete event. Via this listener, we assign a function to a
              complete property. In this example code, I'm simply having it trace() the
              string "complete!" to the Output panel. You'll want to have it send the
              main timeline to frame 2 -- _root.gotoAndStop(2);

Finally, our FLVPlayer instance, vp, invokes the
              VideoPlayer.addEventListener() method to become a listener for "complete"
              events from the listener object.

Done. Badda bing. :)

David

• 4. Re: Wait on frame until video finishes?
                Level 7
                > Finally, our FLVPlayer instance, vp, invokes the
                > VideoPlayer.addEventListener() method to become
                > a listener for "complete" events from the listener
                > object.
                >
                > Done. Badda bing. :)

I should have mentioned, you'll want to add a stop() action before any
                of the previous code. Obviously, we want the timeline to stop first, then
                handle the complete event.

David

• 5. Re: Wait on frame until video finishes?
                  kalibahlutwo Level 1
                  Briliant!! David, thank you so much for taking the time to explain about classes and objects. I'm going to look up the classes you mentioned and learn more. I really appreciate your help! Thanks again! :-) You're a fantastic teacher!
                  • 6. Re: Wait on frame until video finishes?
                    Level 7
                    kalibahlutwo,

> I really appreciate your help! Thanks again! :-) You're a
                    > fantastic teacher!

Thanks for the kind words. :) I remember what it was like when I first
                    started. A good nudge in the right direction can be a tremendous help.
                    Good luck with it!

David