2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2009 11:47 AM by Videogy

Is it possible to customize the screen builder of Flex?

Videogy
      Hi
      I am working on an embedded product that needs a screen builder tool like the one in Flex builder. I understand it is based on eclipse.
      Lets say I have my own set of controls with their own look and feel. They have their attributes and rules how they contain other controls.
      I am wondering whether Flex builder allows it this kind of customization. Basically it shows different set of controls like it shows Flex controls in control panel. Then it allows user to drag and drop them on the design view. It automatically generates screen that conforms to my xml schema.
      How difficult is it to do it with Flex Builder?
      Am I posting it in the wrong forum?

Thanks
      Videoguy
        • 1. Re: Is it possible to customize the screen builder of Flex?
          Level 7

"Videogy" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:gkqdin$1ql$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > Hi
          > I am working on an embedded product that needs a screen builder tool like
          > the
          > one in Flex builder. I understand it is based on eclipse.
          > Lets say I have my own set of controls with their own look and feel. They
          > have
          > their attributes and rules how they contain other controls.
          > I am wondering whether Flex builder allows it this kind of customization.
          > Basically it shows different set of controls like it shows Flex controls
          > in
          > control panel.

If you package your controls as swcs and make them available to the project
          (usually by putting them in the libs folder or by placing them in a shared
          project that you then add to the source path), they will show up in the
          "Custom" folder.

> Then it allows user to drag and drop them on the design view.

This is how it works :-)

> It
          > automatically generates screen that conforms to my xml schema.

This last part doesn't make any sense. It will show what your as or mxml
          file says it should show. If your component is packaged as a swc, you can
          even have it display differently at design time vs. run time.

> How difficult is it to do it with Flex Builder?
          > Am I posting it in the wrong forum?

Have you actually _made_ your own components yet? A lot of this stuff
          becomes really obvious once you've made a simple View, for example, that
          extends Box.

• 2. Re: Is it possible to customize the screen builder of Flex?
            Videogy Level 1
            Thanks for your response. I didn't build any custom components. Just checking whether it is possible or not.

Thanks