This content has been marked as final. Show 9 replies
Does anyone know if there are ANY circumstances where the radio buttons at the top of the "Send for Review" dialog would not display???
This looks like a strange problem. Can i know which version of contribute are you using? Also, Just to understand your problem better..
Can you try this:
1. Create a new connection to another new directory containing just one page (say index.htm)
2. Administer the site, Join the Writer role.
3. Verify Send for review actually works fine for a new Fresh Site?
Are you using CPS to hook up to your website?
Can you also try to Create a Role out of "Administrator" and modify the setting as per Writer role and verify if this is the same behavior?
Do write to me.
Arun (Contribute Team)
Thanks for the response.
Here's some background on our setup and history:
We are running Contribute 3.11 and use Contribute Publishing Server to handle our sites and roles. We have defined about ten sites within Contribute, but are only actively using Contribute with our corporate site at this time, but plan to deploy Contribute to ten other branches of our company to let them edit their localized websites. For the last several months, I have had a user assigned to the Writer role so we could test the Draft Review process. This Writer has edited drafts and sent draft requests to other users on that site who are assigned to a Publisher role. This scenario has been working fine for several months, but recently our Writer informed me that the Send for Review dialog had changed and he was unable to send drafts for review (since the two radio button choices -- "Send e-mail with a link to a preview of the draft" and "Send the draft to another Contribute user" -- that normally appear at the top of the "Send for Review" dialog had disappeared).
Things I have tested include:
* On our corporate website, we created a new Writer2 role based on a Publisher role, except that I did not allow publishing in that role. The Send for Review dialog still had the radio options missing for someone assigned to that role. When I added publishing rights to the Writer2 role, the radio buttons re-appeared in the dialog. This happened for several users we tested this on, so we concluded that the issue was not limited to our original member in the Writer role or to any particular user.
* We ran a test with one of our other ten inactive sites and had a Writer edit a draft and attempt to send it for review to a member in a publisher role -- we got the same results on this site (as we did with our corporate web site and the Writer/Writer2 roles). So we concluded that the issue was not limited to a specific Contribute site.
* We have customized our Contribute Help and Menu system by removing some menu entries that we didn't want our end users to see and by adding some Help pages. We have been successfully running with this customized installation setup without any problems for months. We recently performed another uninstall/reinstall of all of our Contribute clients (except for one laptop) with an update to the installation file set (via the ContributeConfiguration directory) to update a Help page and the Welcome screen. The next week was when we noticed the issue with the draft reviews. We didn't think the two were related, but just in case, we uninstalled our customized client from one PC and reinstalled the original client from the CD. But when that user tried to send a draft for review, we got the same results -- no radio buttons. Also, we assigned another user who had the original client (she had the laptop with the original client installation from the CD) and assigned her to the Writer role -- she also couldn't send drafts for review unless we gave her publishing rights. So whether we were running customized client software or client software from the installation CD, we still have the problem with the Writer role.
Because the problem affects all clients, sites, and user, it sure seems like a server-based issue to me.
A note: I tried to create a new role out of the Administrator role, but the Create New Role dialog allows me to only create a new role from a copy of the Writer and Publisher roles. The Administrator role does not appear in this list of roles. Should it?
Also, I did as you suggested and created a new site. I added a user to its Writer role and asked him to send a draft for review -- he got the same results and the dialog was missing the two radio buttons. Oh, well.
Let me know if I can provide you with any more information that would be helpful.
Ah my bad.
Sorry for the earlier response.
Bob. Contribute Writer functionality does not allow the person in Writer role to do either of the following:
1. File->Preview in Browser
2. Send For Review->Send email with link to a preview of the draft.
Are you sure that your custom installation was making it work earlier? showing you the radio option (step 2)?
The release version does not show. The Help docs on Send for Review context sensitive help will also show that for a Non Publisher role, Preview in Browser is disabled hence this operation is disabled.
As i understand, Typically the following can happen:
1. Writer can never publish a page to the site. He can only write the content
2. Writer Sends a draft for review to one of the Contribute Connected Publisher role for review. (If he/she wants to send it for review to other Writers, he/she can do so by directly selecting them, after the review is done, the same can be sent back as a reviewed item to the originator.)
3. When sending the draft, Writer checks the checkbox, "Notify via Email". This will notify the user via email that there is a draft for your review.
4. Publisher looks at the draft and makes some modifications and Does "Send for review->Send an email with link to the preview of the draft" to corresponding people in the draft process who will view the draft (including the originator)
5. If there are any more changes required to be made in the draft, Publisher sends the draft back to writer to incorporate the changes and after the Writer is done with changes he will send it back to Publisher again. this will repeat until the Draft is frozen to be signed GOOD to Publish.
6. Publisher Publishes.
During this process we are cutting the process of showing a preview of the draft via email for Writer role.
I could not find any solution to enable the option (email a preview of the draft) for Writer role, its by DESIGN and Help Docs also says so.
I can only say we have to relook at it for our coming release.
Thank you for your clarification about how the "Send for Review" dialog works. I understand now that the "Send e-mail with a link to a preview of the draft" option should *not* appear for a non-publisher role and only the "Send the draft to another Contribute user" option should appear.
But for any of my roles that do not have publishing rights, the "Notify recipients through e-mail" checkbox is disabled and all my users that appear in the list are grayed out. This means that you cannot select a user for review and my non-publisher roles cannot send drafts for review!
Please look at this page, where I have posted two screenshots, to see what I mean:
looks strange on how the users list showing box is greyed out. Not sure how to reproduce this scenario. Can you try the same with a fresh new site? I am sure it wont behave this way.
meanwhile i will try to see if i can reproduce the scenario here for a proper solution.
* I created a new site and still get the same results.
* I've done a fresh install from the CD and get the same results.
* I've assigned a user who hadn't touched Contribute in months to the Writer role, and she couldn't send drafts for review unless I added publishing rights to the Writer role.
As I said earlier in this post, because "the problem affects all clients, sites, and users, it sure seems like a server-based issue to me."
Hello? Any progress on reproducing this scenario?
FYI, Markuz in tech support claims that you all have reproduced this probem and the solution is to downgrade to version 3.10 of Contribute.