4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2006 7:12 PM by Newsgroup_User

IE Transparency Problem

r_barlow
      Hey,

I'm using a flash movie for a menu on my website. The majority of people who view it sees it properly with the transparent background. But there's a handful where the transparent background doesn't work. I can't figure out why because I'm using the exact same version of IE and flash player.

The site is http://www.controlgrips.com, does it display properly? Is there anything wrong with the code?
        • 1. Re: IE Transparency Problem
          Level 7
          > Is there anything wrong with the code?
          Your problem is that you use wmode transparent.

It is incredibly buggy and makes movies misbehave in seemingly unrelated
          ways (buttons stop working, movie plays upside down, objects move, things do
          not repaint, input text fails etc etc)

NEVER use wmode transparent. . change your design to avoid it.
          --
          Jeckyl

• 2. Re: IE Transparency Problem
            r_barlow Level 1
            Thanks but that doesn't really help me very much.

Any other suggestions anybody?
            • 3. Re: IE Transparency Problem
              Level 7
              I'm sorry if you don't like it .. but you are simply using a buggy feature
              and so you can expect bugs to happen. Of course, you may not have known it
              was buggy at the time .. Adobe/Macromedia certainly don't do anything about
              it, like telling anyone .. but its something 'everyone' knows.

Your best bet is to change your design so the whole page is in the flash
              movie, then there is no need for the transparency.
              --
              Jeckyl

• 4. Re: IE Transparency Problem
                Level 7

Jeckyl wrote:
                > I'm sorry if you don't like it .. but you are simply using a buggy feature
                > and so you can expect bugs to happen. Of course, you may not have known it
                > was buggy at the time .. Adobe/Macromedia certainly don't do anything about
                > it, like telling anyone .. but its something 'everyone' knows.
                >
                > Your best bet is to change your design so the whole page is in the flash
                > movie, then there is no need for the transparency.
                > --

I second that, being with Jeckyl for about 8 years on the forums, we have
                seen the WMODE doing all kind of wonders. Before it wasn't so popular
                because only IE on windows was supporting that. Just recently, a year or two
                ago few more browsers but, again, it is a very buggy and unpredictable feature.
                We stick to animated banners running above html, never files which require user
                interaction as there is too much of a 50/50 gamble with that.

--
                Regards

Urami

--

Happy New Year guys - all the best there is in the 2006 :)

<urami>
                http://www.Flashfugitive.com
                </urami>

<web junk free>
                http://www.firefox.com
                </web junk free>