2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 27, 2006 1:41 AM by Peter Lorent

Printer Preference Window

sbryner Level 1
      Hello all,

I'm delving into the printing from an .swf and have two questions.

1) Can you print an external text file? (don't see how so doubt it but would like to be reassured)

2) Is there a way to, when printing, skip the printer preference settings alert box?
      I want my _mc to print without prompting the end user to change settings (ie....change printer, layout, copies).

Thanks for any help,
        • 1. Printer Preference Window
          Craig Grummitt Level 3
          1) You can import an external text file using the LoadVars Object if it's in the MIME content type application/x-www-form-urlencoded. Have a look here - this basically means you need to put a variable name and the equal sign at the beginning of your text file.

To print in Flash, you need to have a movieclip set up ready to be printed. It needs to exist somewhere on the stage, though it can be offscreen if you don't want your users to see it.

when your LoadVars.onLoad event handler is triggered you'll need to place the data from the external text file into a dynamic text box in your movieclip to be printed, and then you can use the PrintJob class to print the movieclip.

2) don't know a way of skipping the print dialog box sorry.
          • 2. Re: Printer Preference Window
            Peter Lorent Level 2
            >>2) Is there a way to, when printing, skip the printer preference settings alert box?
            No.