7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2009 3:25 AM by Newsgroup_User

OT: Good, free SPAM filter

Level 7
      Hi,

I have a client who is asking me for SPAM filtering on their site. The host
      I have them with offers SPAM filtering at either $2.50 per email, or $15.00
      per domain. My client is implying that I should be either paying for them or
      else giving them a discount, which I am unwilling to do since they get a
      good deal out of me anyway.

Does anyone have recommendations of a good, free SPAM filter I can direct
      them towards?

Thanks,

B

• 1. Re: OT: Good, free SPAM filter
          DwFAQ Level 4
          CAPTCHA
          • 2. Re: Good, free SPAM filter
            Level 7
            Spam Assassin for linux servers.
            http://spamassassin.apache.org/

Spam Fighter for Outlook, Outlook Express and Windows Mail
            http://www.spamfighter.com/Product_Info.asp

--
            Nancy O.
            Alt-Web Design & Publishing
            www.alt-web.com

• 4. Re: OT: Good, free SPAM filter
              Level 7
              Hi,

I should have perhaps said that the SPAM filter needs to be on a client
              machine and needs to be for Windows (XP or Vista)

Thanks,

Bruce

• 5. Re: OT: Good, free SPAM filter
                Level 7
                .oO("bruce_code" <bwwcodebwwcode@@optusnetoptusnet..comcom..auau>)

>I should have perhaps said that the SPAM filter needs to be on a client
                >machine and needs to be for Windows (XP or Vista)

SpamPal would be one option. Various filter plugins exist.

Micha
                • 6. Re: OT: Good, free SPAM filter
                  Level 7
                  bruce_code wrote:
                  > Hi,
                  >
                  > I have a client who is asking me for SPAM filtering on their site. The host
                  > I have them with offers SPAM filtering at either $2.50 per email, or $15.00
                  > per domain. My client is implying that I should be either paying for them or
                  > else giving them a discount, which I am unwilling to do since they get a
                  > good deal out of me anyway.
                  >
                  > Does anyone have recommendations of a good, free SPAM filter I can direct
                  > them towards?

One option that I use for my home address which so far is 100% accurate
                  for me, is using Google Apps for delivery of my emails.

http://www.google.com/apps/

Its free, you just change your DNS records for the mail to point to
                  googles MX records, and then setup each user in Gmail. You can either
                  give them access to the accounts via your own customized Gmail
                  interface, or you can turn on POP and give your clients POP access.
                  There is IMAP too if you want to delve into that.

The spam filtering alone is worth the setup, plus if you want you can
                  make use of the calendar and doc sharing part. It really is cool if you
                  are a fan of Google. I understand many people aren't, but this is an option.

Why is this better than software installed on your computer? Because you
                  don't have to receive the spam before the emails get to the spam filter
                  program, which means your emails get to you desktop quicker as they are
                  all genuine emails coming down.

Dooza
                  • 7. Re: OT: Good, free SPAM filter
                    Level 7
                    Hi All,

Thanks for your replies. I've got it sorted out now.

Bruce

"Dooza" <doozadooza@gmail.com> wrote in message
                    news:gkf1ns$nl9$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    > bruce_code wrote:
                    >> Hi,
                    >>
                    >> I have a client who is asking me for SPAM filtering on their site. The
                    >> host I have them with offers SPAM filtering at either $2.50 per email, or
                    >> $15.00 per domain. My client is implying that I should be either paying
                    >> for them or else giving them a discount, which I am unwilling to do since
                    >> they get a good deal out of me anyway.
                    >>
                    >> Does anyone have recommendations of a good, free SPAM filter I can direct
                    >> them towards?
                    >
                    > One option that I use for my home address which so far is 100% accurate
                    > for me, is using Google Apps for delivery of my emails.
                    >
                    > http://www.google.com/apps/
                    >
                    > Its free, you just change your DNS records for the mail to point to
                    > googles MX records, and then setup each user in Gmail. You can either give
                    > them access to the accounts via your own customized Gmail interface, or
                    > you can turn on POP and give your clients POP access. There is IMAP too if
                    > you want to delve into that.
                    >
                    > The spam filtering alone is worth the setup, plus if you want you can make
                    > use of the calendar and doc sharing part. It really is cool if you are a
                    > fan of Google. I understand many people aren't, but this is an option.
                    >
                    > Why is this better than software installed on your computer? Because you
                    > don't have to receive the spam before the emails get to the spam filter
                    > program, which means your emails get to you desktop quicker as they are
                    > all genuine emails coming down.
                    >
                    > Dooza