1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 24, 2006 4:14 PM by Newsgroup_User

Alpha Mask Limit?

300thnickattempt
      Hello, I recently just had a long problem that I could not figure out. I couldn't get a particular image to take an alpha blended mask. Since I've been able to successfully do this countless times prior (through both the timeline and AS), I wasn't able to find the reason why this particular image wouldn't accept it. Naturally, I went insane. If I had runtime caching checked, I would get no masking at all. If I had it unchecked, I would get a solid mask.

I've narrowed the issue down to one factor and one factor alone, the physical size of the image. It doesn't matter the file size of the image being used, rather its dimensions in relation to the stage. Shrinking the image worked, blowing up any other image (as a test) makes it stop working again.

My question is this: What's the largest size image we can alpha mask? Mine was 1608x259(original) and I was trying to scroll it across a 705x504 size stage. I didn't keep sizing down until it worked, rather I just cut it up at its current size, so I don't know yet this limit, but it's there.
        • 1. Re: Alpha Mask Limit?
          Level 7

300thnickattempt wrote:
          > Hello, I recently just had a long problem that I could not figure out. I
          > couldn't get a particular image to take an alpha blended mask. Since I've been
          > able to successfully do this countless times prior (through both the timeline
          > and AS), I wasn't able to find the reason why this particular image wouldn't
          > accept it. Naturally, I went insane. If I had runtime caching checked, I would
          > get no masking at all. If I had it unchecked, I would get a solid mask.
          >
          > I've narrowed the issue down to one factor and one factor alone, the physical
          > size of the image. It doesn't matter the file size of the image being used,
          > rather its dimensions in relation to the stage. Shrinking the image worked,
          > blowing up any other image (as a test) makes it stop working again.
          >
          > My question is this: What's the largest size image we can alpha mask? Mine was
          > 1608x259(original) and I was trying to scroll it across a 705x504 size stage. I
          > didn't keep sizing down until it worked, rather I just cut it up at its current
          > size, so I don't know yet this limit, but it's there.
          >

I could not reproduce the problem. For test I imported 2000 by 700 pixels image.
          Set caching bitmap and mask using setMask action, animated the mask, animate the image
          and than the both in the same time.
          Variety of combinations, each time it work w/o problem.

My guess is the file get somehow corrupted. FLA are very delicate and its common to
          experience unusually behaviors for no apparent reason.
          Try to do the same in new file see if happens again. Try to adjust the dimensions, make
          the image slightly bigger or smaller. Remove the image from stage, drag it from library
          to stage again and convert it to an instance movie clip. Sometimes the link between
          library content and stage get messed up.

--
          Regards

Urami

--

Happy New Year guys - all the best there is in the 2006 :)

<urami>
          http://www.Flashfugitive.com
          </urami>

<web junk free>
          http://www.firefox.com
          </web junk free>