3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2006 1:38 PM by Newsgroup_User

Copy & Paste Flash->Illustrator

animator_geek
      I'm having a lot of trouble copying artwork from Flash into other vector-based programs. It seems like what's happening is that it's dropping a bunch of vertices and/or only transfering straight lines instead of curves. For instance, I have this symbol in Flash. When I copy and paste it into Illustrator I get this. As I'm sure you can see, it completely drops the dark line at one end (which is technically a shape, not a line), and it mangles the shape of the main piece.

I'm using Flash 8 and Illustrator CS but I'm pretty sure it's a problem in Flash. I have the same problem when I copy from Flash 8 into Flash MX 2004. I _don't_ have this problem, though, when copying from MX 2004 to other programs.

Here are the settings from Flash 8's Clipboard preferences panel (though I don't think any of these should have any bearing on this problem):

Color Depth: Match Screen
      Resolution: 300 dpi
      Size Limit: 1000Kb
      "Smooth" is checked
      Gradient Quality: Normal
      Freehand text: maintain as blocks
        • 1. Re: Copy & Paste Flash->Illustrator
          Level 7
          flash 8 and AI are 2 different apps developed (at the time) by 2 different companies - so copy/paste
          between them isn't directly supported but you may get lucky depending on the artwork.

Just export from flash to eps or AI - then open in AI.

--> **Adobe Certified Expert**
          --> www.mudbubble.com
          --> www.keyframer.com

animator_geek wrote:
          > I'm having a lot of trouble copying artwork from Flash into other vector-based
          > programs. It seems like what's happening is that it's dropping a bunch of
          > vertices and/or only transfering straight lines instead of curves. For
          > instance, I have http://www.dontfearthesitter.com/bob1.png. When I copy and
          > paste it into Illustrator I get http://www.dontfearthesitter.com/bob2.png. As
          > I'm sure you can see, it completely drops the dark line at one end (which is
          > technically a shape, not a line), and it mangles the shape of the main piece.
          >
          > I'm using Flash 8 and Illustrator CS but I'm pretty sure it's a problem in
          > Flash. I have the same problem when I copy from Flash 8 into Flash MX 2004. I
          > _don't_ have this problem, though, when copying from MX 2004 to other programs.
          >
          > Here are the settings from Flash 8's Clipboard preferences panel (though I
          > don't think any of these should have any bearing on this problem):
          >
          > Color Depth: Match Screen
          > Resolution: 300 dpi
          > Size Limit: 1000Kb
          > "Smooth" is checked
          > Gradient Quality: Normal
          > Freehand text: maintain as blocks
          >
          >
          • 2. Copy & Paste Flash->Illustrator
            animator_geek Level 1
            So I'm just SOL on Flash/AI interoperability? It worked fine with the previous version. What could have changed? Did the Flash developers really not keep Illustrator compatability as a priority?

There doesn't seem to be any "getting lucky" with the artwork -- I can't successfully copy anything that has a curve.

Arg. I'm really frustrated. This all works fine in the old version. I'm an animator on Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends and copying from Flash to AI is an integral part of our work flow. That's the last thing I expected to go away in the new version.

Oh, and one more thing. As I said in my original message, it's not just Illustrator. Even copying to Flash MX 2004 has the same results. Surely they use exactly the same vertex/curve data. I'm not doing anything in this new version that wasn't supposrted in the old version.

Does anyone else have success with doing this kind of thing? I'd at least try to figure out if the problem is endemic to Flash 8 or if it's just something about my setup.
            • 3. Re: Copy & Paste Flash->Illustrator
              Level 7
              Hmmm - i'm not sure to be honest - perhaps now that adobe purchased macrmedia the next versions of
              these tools will see more compatability - btw...great show you are working on - i am good friends
              with one of your ex-animators (Justin Murphy), he and I worked together years ago.

-c

--> **Adobe Certified Expert**
              --> www.mudbubble.com
              --> www.keyframer.com

animator_geek wrote:
              > So I'm just SOL on Flash/AI interoperability? It worked fine with the previous
              > version. What could have changed? Did the Flash developers really not keep
              > Illustrator compatability as a priority?
              >
              > There doesn't seem to be any "getting lucky" with the artwork -- I can't
              > successfully copy anything that has a curve.
              >
              > Arg. I'm really frustrated. This all works fine in the old version. I'm an
              > animator on Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends and copying from Flash to AI is
              > an integral part of our work flow. That's the last thing I expected to go away
              > in the new version.
              >