5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 27, 2006 5:29 PM by WebXperience

location of a variable on _level9

ddirk
      I posted before, but didn't really get the answer I was looking for.

Basically i have a movie (index.swf) that loads (root.swf) onto level 9.
      root.swf has a dynamic text box that loads an external text file.

The problem is that when I play the whole movie, the text will not show up, but when I play the 'root.swf' by itself, the text does show up.... How can I reference the variable or the text box to work properly when it is loaded onto level9?
        • 1. Re: location of a variable on _level9
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          do you need to embed newstext_text's font because of something you're doing to _level9 (like masking it)?
          • 2. Re: location of a variable on _level9
            Lums
            I guess you need to load the text content into the same movie (root.swf) else, flash normally loads any variable to the root movie by default. i.e : myData.load("newstext.txt", "this");

Or you can load it using the old method but access it from the root movie.
            • 3. location of a variable on _level9
              ddirk Level 1
              quote:

Originally posted by: Lums
              I guess you need to load the text content into the same movie (root.swf) else, flash normally loads any variable to the root movie by default. i.e : myData.load("newstext.txt", "this");

Excactly... but it still doesn't seem to want to load it.. how can I reference the variable and the text box?

No matter what I do, it still won't show the text in the loaded movie, only when I play the movie by itself...
              where exactly are the variables put, and how can I reference them from the loaded movie?
              thats the question
              • 4. Re: location of a variable on _level9
                kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                your problem is unlikely related to any issues involving _root. i doubt there are any path issues involved, though that's always possible.

but if you want to pursue that, the objects in your _level9 swf can be referenced from anywhere by using _level9.newstext_text (assuming newstext_text is on the main timeline of its swf), for example.

you should really check to see if your textfield needs to have its font embedded. if that does not resolve the issue and you used loadMovieNum() to load your external swf, post a link to your two flas.
                • 5. location of a variable on _level9
                  WebXperience Level 1
                  if the instance name of your dynamic texfield on level9 is "newstext"
                  _level9.newstext.text = myData.info // if the variable in your newstext.txt file is "info"