4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2006 10:25 AM by Erik Oberhausen

Flex can't find flash player

Erik Oberhausen
      Hello.

Just starting with Flex2 and am currently playing with the trial.

After opening the Flexstore sample project and choosing run, Flex is telling me:

"Flex Builder cannont locate the required version of the Flash Player. You may need to install Flash Player 9.0 or reinstall Flex Builder. Do you want to try to run your application with the current version?"

After choosing yes I get this:

"CreateProcess: cmd /c start "C:\Documents and Settings\joe\My Documents\Flex Builder 2\flexstore\bin\flexstore.html" error=32"

At the Adobe site, it shows I have version 9,0,16,0 installed successfully.

I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling both Flex2 and the player several times. I downloaded the unistaller for the player from the Adobe site and tried that as well. Adobe says I have the correct version installed for Flex debugging according to this:

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=758bf58b

Any ideas how I can get past this and start to play with this program would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
        • 1. Re: Flex can't find flash player
          ntsiii Level 3
          Make sure you installed the right Flash Player for the Browser version you are using to run the app.

There are two versions, one, the AX version is ActiveX for IE, the other is for mozilla - based browsers. You get to choose the run/debug browser in the Window, Preferences, General, Web browser setting in Flex builder. Make sure the one checked is the one you installed the player for.

Tracy
          • 2. Re: Flex can't find flash player
            Erik Oberhausen Level 1
            Thanks for the reply, Tracy.

I have tried both versions of the player. One interesting thing, at the start page when I choose run from one of the links of the sample projects it launches Firefox and displays the movie fine. It is just having problems after I open the sample project and then hit the green run button that I am getting the errors. Is there a way to force it to preview the app within Flex rather than through an external browser?

Considering restoring my whole system to overcome this. I haven't seen any similar posts anywhere concering this, which is making me suspect it's just me. :(
            • 3. Re: Flex can't find flash player
              ntsiii Level 3
              That implies that you are not using the browser you think you are when you hit run. Doublecheck the preferences, that it is not "default browser."
              • 4. Re: Flex can't find flash player
                Erik Oberhausen Level 1
                Thanks again, Tracy.

I did a system restore last night and all is working correctly now.