1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 26, 2006 8:12 AM by pixelmonk1

Slide Presentation/video control using Flash 8 (exported to Flash 7)

pixelmonk1 Level 1
      Intially a flash doc was created as a slide presentation/video interface, using embedded video. Buttons on the left are for individual slide titles, slides are on the right, and a small video window at the bottom showcases the speaker talking to the slides. Using embedded video was the easiest way for me, a newbie, to set the whole thing up. I would just create frame labels for each slide based on where they fall on the timeline. The problem is audio sync. When the user clicks on a button to take them to a different slide, the audio in the video would lose sync. I found out, via google, that embedded video sucks for doing videos longer than a minute. Because I have to build for a Flash 7 and below intranet, I have to use those components in Flash 8. So where I'm at now is I have the standard:

var connection_nc:NetConnection = new NetConnection();
      connection_nc.connect(null);
      var stream_ns:NetStream = new NetStream(connection_nc);
      stream_ns.setBufferTime(0);
      my_video.attachVideo(stream_ns);
      stream_ns.play("movie_file.flv");

Code attached to the buttons read:
      on (release) {
      gotoAndPlay("slide2");
      stream_ns.seek(17);
      _root.Pause.gotoAndStop(1);
      }

So.. the problem is, I initially created frame labels based on embedded video. In the example above, the speaker on the video started talking about slide 2 at 17 seconds. Now, when I try to use those frame labels as my information (frame label "slide 2" is at 17 seconds) for stream_ns.seek, it doesn't match up.

What's the best way to do what I'm trying to do? Before I tried the netstream approach I was fiddling around with using the MediaDisplay component (I don't need the interface stuff with the player). I even tried to add cue points. I also even tried to add cue points in the Sorenson Squeeze compression. The problem is... I don't know the code to for skipping to those cue points, using Flash 7 AS 2.0 code via the buttons I've created. I'd prefer to use cue points as they seem to be easier to set up than guessing at where these net.seek things need to go.

any help would be appreciated.