14 Replies Latest reply on Sep 8, 2006 4:54 PM by Newsgroup_User

Director launch Speed

daveWB
      Hi,

I have a director application running off a CD and I am looking for a way to increasee the start up speed. I have set it up with a stub projector with all the Xtras external. On a G5 imac it takes 25 sec from the time I double click until it actually launches. However if I take the exact same files and copy them from the cd to the desktop it launches within a second or 2. One thought I had was it has something to do with a temp file it creates called "temp file aaa" but I couldn't find anything about it. Another odd symptom is it only takes that long the first time after they put the cd in the drive. The second time the application is launched it opens at nearly the speed it does on the desktop. Any ideas or advice would be appreciated. If you need any more details please just ask.

Thanks,

Dave
        • 1. Re: Director launch Speed
          Level 7
          My guess is that you have a slow CD-ROM. At the best, any CD-ROM
          program will be noticeably slower than a hard drive based program. There
          is nothing you can do about that. You can, of course, make an installer
          that copies your files onto the hard drive. There are loads of xtras
          that can handle, it, notably BudAPI.
          • 2. Re: Director launch Speed
            Level 7
            Try adding a splash screen so that there is some feedback during the
            launch process. A .bmp for Windows and .pct for Mac with the same name
            as your projector
            Also, ensuring your executable is written on the outside edge of the
            disc may help it load faster (greater angular velocity at th edge) - you
            can pad the disc with enough junk (perhaps 1 large file) to hit the size
            limit of the disc, and then use Toast/Nero to place the executable last.
            • 3. Re: Director launch Speed
              daveWB Level 1
              Thanks.

The director application actually is an installer of sorts its copying other files to the users computer to speed up the primary application( which I am using Buddy API for all praise Buddy API). As far as the splash screen I'll give that a try tommorow. However I'm not sure if it will work given that the 25 sec is the time it takes the application to show up. Is there anyway to burn it to the outside of the disc without filling the disc?

Dave
              • 4. Re: Director launch Speed
                Level 7
                > However I'm not sure if it will work given that the
                > 25 sec is the time it takes the application to show up.

That's what it's intended to do - fill some space while the app starts
                so there's no dead air.

> Is there anyway to
                > burn it to the outside of the disc without filling the disc?

If you simply burn it last, or assign it the highest priority (depending
                on your burning app), it should be placed last on the disc which should
                in turn speed loading as fast as possible without actually "padding" the
                disc
                • 5. Re: Director launch Speed
                  Level 7
                  On Thu, 07 Sep 2006 23:44:19 GMT, daveWB posted in
                  macromedia.director.basics:

> One thought I had was it has something to do with a temp file it creates
                  > called "temp file aaa" but I couldn't find anything about it.

If you're creating a "standard" stub projector, then the projector will
                  unpack certain files (see item 25 in the technote) to the temp folder. A
                  "fast-start", Shockwave-compressed stub projector doesn't need to do that.

http://www.adobe.com/go/tn_14431

I don't know if Macs create that file regardless, though.

> Another odd symptom is it only takes that long the first time after they
                  > put the cd in the drive. The second time the application is launched it
                  > opens at nearly the speed it does on the desktop.

Your CD-ROM drive (or possibly the OS) has cache memory and the 2nd time
                  through, it is reading from the cache.

--
                  Mark A. Boyd
                  Keep-On-Learnin' :)
                  • 6. Re: Director launch Speed
                    daveWB Level 1
                    Thanks alot.

The pct file splash screen does prelauch and even though it doesnt cut down on time it breaks it up enough that it feels much faster. I have tried switching from the standard projector to the shockwave projector but I have never gotten it too work right on the mac. Does anyone know what files and where they need to go to make a mac shockwave projector run without shockwave on the computer? This is using Director MX 2004. It use to work with MX but those files don't seem to do it anymore.

Thanks

Dave
                    • 7. Re: Director launch Speed
                      Level 7
                      On Fri, 08 Sep 2006 20:15:04 GMT, daveWB posted in

> I have tried switching from the standard projector to the shockwave
                      > projector but I have never gotten it too work right on the mac. Does
                      > anyone know what files and where they need to go to make a mac shockwave
                      > projector run without shockwave on the computer?

Doesn't item 25 in the link I posted cover that?

> This is using Director MX 2004. It use to work with MX but those files
                      > don't seem to do it anymore.

Sorry, I can't speak from experience there. If one or more steps in the
                      technote are wrong, hopefully somebody will speak up here.

I see they've inserted version-specific instructions in the steps, though.

--
                      Mark A. Boyd
                      • 8. Re: Director launch Speed
                        daveWB Level 1
                        Hi Mark,

Yeah I know what it says in the technote I have seen it before and it does work perfectly on the PC with MX 2004. However doing what they say on OS X it still says it needs to install shockwave on the users computer. Don't know if it is a bug or what.

Dave
                        • 9. Re: Director launch Speed
                          daveWB Level 1
                          Come to think of it I think it even worked prior to the most recent build of director 10.1 which brought i the flash 8 capability. Maybe there was a compatibility issue created with that release.

Dave
                          • 10. Re: Director launch Speed
                            daveWB Level 1
                            Come to think of it I think it even worked prior to the most recent build of director 10.1 which brought i the flash 8 capability. Maybe there was a compatibility issue created with that release.

Dave
                            • 11. Re: Director launch Speed
                              Level 7
                              On Fri, 08 Sep 2006 20:43:05 GMT, daveWB posted in

> Yeah I know what it says in the technote I have seen it before and it
                              > does work perfectly on the PC with MX 2004. However doing what they say
                              > on OS X it still says it needs to install shockwave on the users
                              > computer. Don't know if it is a bug or what.

And elsewhere, daveWB posted:

> Come to think of it I think it even worked prior to the most recent
                              > build of director 10.1 which brought i the flash 8 capability. Maybe
                              > there was a compatibility issue created with that release.

Yeesh! So much for the recent thread where I disputed the need for Shockwave
                              with SW projectors. I was unaware that Mac fast-start projectors started
                              requiring it. Pretty much defeats the whole purpose, doesn't it?

I guess you should stick with the standard projector for the Mac version.
                              If it's like the old days (my last Mac projector was from the D6.5 days),
                              Mac projectors start quicker than PC anyway.

--
                              Mark A. Boyd
                              • 12. Re: Director launch Speed
                                Level 7
                                I create bundles for Mac projector delivery, and these *require* a
                                Shockwave projector. I've tested the bundle by renaming the Shockwave
                                folder on the iMac I use for testing and have never experienced the
                                requirement to download Shockwave. I suspect you have an incorrect
                                library version, or didn't provide /all/ of them.

There's a TN at Adobe about creating bundles.
                                • 13. Re: Director launch Speed
                                  daveWB Level 1
                                  Thanks everybody.

I seem to have it working as well as it is going to work. Its really amazing the illusion of quickness that the splash screen graphic offers. As fas as the mac speed vs pc speed in my testing I have seen that in the latest version of director the pcs are significantly out performing the macs on start up time. Even when comparring it to a stocked dual 2 ghz G5. Once they launch they run about the same.

Thanks again

Dave
                                  • 14. Re: Director launch Speed
                                    Level 7
                                    On Fri, 08 Sep 2006 22:07:38 GMT, Sean Wilson posted in

> I create bundles for Mac projector delivery, and these *require* a
                                    > Shockwave projector. I've tested the bundle by renaming the Shockwave
                                    > folder on the iMac I use for testing and have never experienced the
                                    > requirement to download Shockwave. I suspect you have an incorrect
                                    > library version, or didn't provide /all/ of them.

Thanks the confirmation, Sean. I was worried that I was posting
                                    misinformation again. I'll keep the Bundle technote in mind next time.

--
                                    Mark A. Boyd