3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 10, 2006 12:58 AM by Newsgroup_User

4th post plz help

_leafs_fan_
      I am having a problems with dynamic text fields and strings...

Using Flash 8 Professional by the way.

I have a number of swfs that load their content from XML files generated by Flash using the strings panel.

My problem is that when I update one of the XML files it seems to populate the text field in all of the files (even although they all have seperate XML files) fields that share the same string id...and then I get undefined in most of the other text fields in the other files?

Has anyone come across this before?
        • 1. Re: 4th post plz help
          Level 7

__icarus__ wrote:
          > I am having a problems with dynamic text fields and strings...
          >
          > Using Flash 8 Professional by the way.
          >
          > I have a number of swfs that load their content from XML files generated by
          > Flash using the strings panel.
          >
          > My problem is that when I update one of the XML files it seems to populate the
          > text field in all of the files (even although they all have seperate XML files)
          > fields that share the same string id...and then I get undefined in most of the
          > other text fields in the other files?

you need to define different ID for all files. No other way

--
          Best Regards

Urami

--

<urami>
          If you want to mail me - DO NOT LAUGH AT MY ADDRESS
          </urami>
          • 2. Re: 4th post plz help
            _leafs_fan_ Level 1
            Urami

let me get this straight...do you mean that for every text field regardless of the fact that it is in a different file or not, they all need a different string ID?

Here is my situation...I am creating a ELearning course that has a main interface that loads content swf movies into a blank movie clip within it. So for example I have a file called introduction.swf and one called objectives.swf. In each of the files I have a text field heading with a string ID of "my title "...are you saying that I need to give each heading a seperate ID even although they are in different swf's and have their own XML file? so if I gave the text field in introduction swf an Id of "intro_heading" and the one in the objectives swf an id of "objective_heading" it should work?

Thanks!
            Dave Lees
            • 3. Re: 4th post plz help
              Level 7

__icarus__ wrote:
              > Urami
              >
              > let me get this straight...do you mean that for every text field regardless of
              > the fact that it is in a different file or not, they all need a different
              > string ID?

That is correct. If you use same ID across multiple files, it will get all confused.
              Never the case if you have unique ID for each string.

> Here is my situation...I am creating a ELearning course that has a main
              > interface that loads content swf movies into a blank movie clip within it. So
              > for example I have a file called introduction.swf and one called
              > objectives.swf. In each of the files I have a text field heading with a string
              > ID of "my title "...are you saying that I need to give each heading a seperate
              > ID even although they are in different swf's and have their own XML file?

Yes that is what Im saying. Flash does not care where the data comes from.
              It seek it by its ID name, Variable name etc... If you load movies into each other
              they start sharing the same main movie and it's easy for cross level string
              contemination. That is why you should be naming them differently, throughout the
              entire project.

> so if
              > I gave the text field in introduction swf an Id of "intro_heading" and the one
              > in the objectives swf an id of "objective_heading" it should work?

Certainly.

--
              Best Regards

Urami

--

<urami>
              If you want to mail me - DO NOT LAUGH AT MY ADDRESS
              </urami>