5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2009 6:30 AM by BKBK

Web Service doesn't respond if accessed publicly

jason_y
      Hi,

I have created a web service that returns a simple XML file. There is a private IP assigned to it as well as a public IP. When I try to invoke it with the private IP, the XML file gets returned correctly. However using the public IP fails to give a response. The 2 IP addresses point to the same location and I was able to get the WSDL file using either IP address. I was wondering if anyone has encountered this problem before?

The web service:
      <cffunction
      name="getCustomer"
      returntype="XML"
      output="false"
      access="remote"
      hint="get CanadaPharmacy customer"
      >

<cfargument name="PartnerGateway" type="string" required="yes">

<cfxml variable="customerXML" casesensitive="no">
      <cfoutput>
      <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
      <PartnerGateway>
      <ErrorMessageDetails>testing 123</ErrorMessageDetails>
      </PartnerGateway>
      </cfoutput>
      </cfxml>

<cfreturn customerXML>

</cffunction>

</cfcomponent>

The <cfinvoke> call:

<cfinvoke webservice=" http://(IP address)/cfc/CustomerRequest_test.cfc?wsdl"
      method="getCustomer"
      returnvariable="customerInfo"
      refreshWSDL="yes">
      <cfinvokeargument name="PartnerGateway" value="#PartGate#"/>
      </cfinvoke>

The web service is in a file named "CustomerRequest_test.cfc" while the variable "PartGate" is an XML file.

Sincerely,

Jason

• 1. Re: Web Service doesn't respond if accessed publicly
          MercuryNewt
          Are you getting any sort of error response from the web server? If so, what is it?
          • 2. Re: Web Service doesn't respond if accessed publicly
            Level 7
            jason_y wrote:
            > Hi,
            >
            > I have created a web service that returns a simple XML file. There is a
            > private IP assigned to it as well as a public IP. When I try to invoke it with
            > the private IP, the XML file gets returned correctly. However using the public
            > IP fails to give a response.

What does it mean "fails to give a response" ? (it times out after x
            seconds, it returns nothing, it returns something but it's not xml, etc)

--
            Mack
            • 3. Re: Web Service doesn't respond if accessed publicly
              jason_y Level 1
              Hi,

I figured out what the problem was. It was an issue with the virtual mappings setup on the ColdFusion server. However, I'm running into another problem which I can't figure out.

The web service works as intended when I try to comsume it using <cfinvoke>, but when someone on the outside, they get an "Exception thrown: null" error. They're trying to use BEA WebLogic to connect to the web service.

The web service has the structure:
              <cffunction
              name="getCustomer"
              returntype="XML"
              output="false"
              access="remote"
              >

<cfset PartnerGatewayXML = XmlParse(PartnerGateway)>

<cfset PartnerID = PartnerGatewayXML.XmlRoot.Partner.PartnerID.XmlText>
              <cfset PartnerPwd = PartnerGatewayXML.XmlRoot.Partner.PartnerPwd.XmlText>

<cfset customerid = PartnerGatewayXML.XmlRoot.AffinionCustomerInfo.XmlAttributes.Token>
              <cfset RefCode = PartnerGatewayXML.XmlRoot.AffinionCustomerInfo.XmlAttributes.RefCode>

<!--- code that generates an XML file based on the data "PartnerGateway" ("PartnerGateway" is an XML file as well) --->

<cfreturn customerXML>

</cffunction>

</cfcomponent>

When I access it, I type in:
              <cfinvoke webservice=" http://(publicIP)/cfc/CustomerRequest2.cfc?wsdl"
              method="getCustomer"
              refreshWSDL="yes">
              </cfinvoke>

"PartGate" is equal to an XML file with the content:
              <PartnerGateway><Partner><PartnerID>aaa</PartnerID><PartnerPwd>bbb</PartnerPwd></Partner>< AffinionCustomerInfo Version="1.0" RefCode="GF21CPHARDP0001" Token="90210"/></PartnerGateway>

When they access it, they get a very big error message. The beginning of it is:

java.lang.Exception: Exception in SOAP call https://affinion.canadapharmacy.com/cfc/CustomerRequest2.cfc. Exception thrown: null

at datapass.workflow.controls.callout.soap.SoapImpl.soapCall(SoapImpl.jcs:187)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:324)

at com.bea.wlw.runtime.core.dispatcher.DispMethod.invoke(DispMethod.java:371)

at com.bea.wlw.runtime.core.container.Invocable.invoke(Invocable.java:433)

at com.bea.wlw.runtime.core.container.Invocable.invoke(Invocable.java:406)

at com.bea.wlw.runtime.jcs.container.JcsProxy.invoke(JcsProxy.java:381)

at $Proxy60.soapCall(Unknown Source)

I was wondering if anyone knows what this error message means?

Sincerely,

Jason
              • 4. Re: Web Service doesn't respond if accessed publicly
                jason_y Level 1
                Hi,

I figured out what the problem was. It was an issue with the virtual mappings setup on the ColdFusion server. However, I'm running into another problem which I can't figure out.

The web service works as intended when I try to comsume it using <cfinvoke>, but when someone on the outside, they get an "Exception thrown: null" error. They're trying to use BEA WebLogic to connect to the web service.

The web service has the structure:
                <cffunction
                name="getCustomer"
                returntype="XML"
                output="false"
                access="remote"
                >

<cfset PartnerGatewayXML = XmlParse(PartnerGateway)>

<cfset PartnerID = PartnerGatewayXML.XmlRoot.Partner.PartnerID.XmlText>
                <cfset PartnerPwd = PartnerGatewayXML.XmlRoot.Partner.PartnerPwd.XmlText>

<cfset customerid = PartnerGatewayXML.XmlRoot.AffinionCustomerInfo.XmlAttributes.Token>
                <cfset RefCode = PartnerGatewayXML.XmlRoot.AffinionCustomerInfo.XmlAttributes.RefCode>

<!--- code that generates an XML file based on the data "PartnerGateway" ("PartnerGateway" is an XML file as well) --->

<cfreturn customerXML>

</cffunction>

</cfcomponent>

When I access it, I type in:
                <cfinvoke webservice=" http://(publicIP)/cfc/CustomerRequest2.cfc?wsdl"
                method="getCustomer"
                refreshWSDL="yes">
                </cfinvoke>

"PartGate" is equal to an XML file with the content:
                <PartnerGateway><Partner><PartnerID>aaa</PartnerID><PartnerPwd>bbb</PartnerPwd></Partner>< AffinionCustomerInfo Version="1.0" RefCode="GF21CPHARDP0001" Token="90210"/></PartnerGateway>

When they access it, they get a very big error message. The beginning of it is:

java.lang.Exception: Exception in SOAP call https://affinion.canadapharmacy.com/cfc/CustomerRequest2.cfc. Exception thrown: null

at datapass.workflow.controls.callout.soap.SoapImpl.soapCall(SoapImpl.jcs:187)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:324)

at com.bea.wlw.runtime.core.dispatcher.DispMethod.invoke(DispMethod.java:371)

at com.bea.wlw.runtime.core.container.Invocable.invoke(Invocable.java:433)

at com.bea.wlw.runtime.core.container.Invocable.invoke(Invocable.java:406)

at com.bea.wlw.runtime.jcs.container.JcsProxy.invoke(JcsProxy.java:381)

at $Proxy60.soapCall(Unknown Source)

I was wondering if anyone knows what this error message means?

Sincerely,

Jason
                • 5. Re: Web Service doesn't respond if accessed publicly
                  BKBK Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                  XML and Webservices are not a trivial combination. We've tackled that problem before. You have to convert the return variable customerXML into a SOAP response. The BEA Weblogic client should have no trouble calling the service as a SOAP request. here are some references:

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/messageview.cfm?forumid=1&catid=7&threadid=13 76324

http://www.houseoffusion.com/groups/cf-talk/thread.cfm/threadid:52942