3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2006 6:30 PM by kglad

Storing data out to external file...?

Brett_Archibald Level 1
      I have a question I'd like to put forward to anyone who can help me. It's a bit vague, perhaps, but any help would be appreciated...

I need to make a Flash application into which you can INPUT data, and then have that data STORED somehow / kept in memory - probably in an external file of some format outside of the Flash file, so that the next time you launch the Flash file, that same EXTERNAL data will be read by the Flash file and will display in the interface.

The key thing here though is that file will NOT be hosted online, so it cannot make use of any "online-only" scripting (if such a thing exists?).
      I need to host and run the Flash application from my local hard drive, and all external files need to be on my local hard drive too.

Is it possible to set up the scenario I've outlined? Where do I even begin?
      I fully appreciate that this will be a big project, requiring a great deal of learning on my part, but I'm willing to give it a go, providing I know where to start...
      What am I looking at here? PHP? CGI? XML? Will those run locally? I really don't know...
      Like I said, I really know nothing about any of this, and I'm perfectly willing to learn, but I just need to know WHERE to start learning, and WHAT to learn...

Again - any help appreciated.
      Thanks.