2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 11, 2006 11:47 AM by Mister Peanut

Scene Linking Insanity

Mister Peanut Level 1
      Hello, I am new to Actionscript and Flash, however, I think I have a good understanding of how to link scenes with buttons. I have tried every combination that is suggested in every discussion topic I have found on the subject, but it still... doesn't... work!

I have done this before, and it has worked fine. I am doing nothing different. I am at my wit's end.

I have tried the following code on the button and naming a frame:

on(release){
      _root.gotoAndPlay("home1");
      }

I have also tried:

btn_name.onRelease = function (){
      gotoAndPlay ("Home", 1);
      }

I have also tried this code using frame labels. Nothing.
      I just want to curl up in a little ball, forget all about learning ActionScript, and hum a tuneless tune to myself while rocking back and forth in my room with the padded wallpaper.

I have searched all forums to get all of the info I could. Nothing works.

Please, please, please, somebody help me. I will send you my file if need be.
        • 1. Re: Scene Linking Insanity
          Mister Peanut Level 1
          I think I found the problem.....

After using ctr+alt+enter to test my AboutUs scene, I hit the 'home' button to link back to the home page. THis didn't work. It appears as though you have to ctr+enter on your home scene (scene 1), navigate to scene 2, and then the buttons will work after linking to the page. The code was correct all along, and now it works while testing from scene 1.

Is this a common problem for new users? Should you be able to ctr+alt+enter on a scen and have all of the buttons work? I am a little perplexed still that this doesn't work. I think others have had the same problem as I from reading past forum discussions.

Any ideas or comments would be appreciated...

Brad
          • 2. Re: Scene Linking Insanity
            Mister Peanut Level 1
            I think I found the problem.....

After using ctr+alt+enter to test my AboutUs scene, I hit the 'home' button to link back to the home page. THis didn't work. It appears as though you have to ctr+enter on your home scene (scene 1), navigate to scene 2, and then the buttons will work after linking to the page. The code was correct all along, and now it works while testing from scene 1.

Is this a common problem for new users? Should you be able to ctr+alt+enter on a scen and have all of the buttons work? I am a little perplexed still that this doesn't work. I think others have had the same problem as I from reading past forum discussions.

Any ideas or comments would be appreciated...

Brad