3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 12, 2006 11:19 AM by Detonate 2004

Faking QuicktimeVR

layerburn
      So i'm trying to fake quicktimeVR without having to use the quicktime plugin. I've got it working except, the object turns when the mouse enters the frame and rotates based on the mouse's x position. This is ok, but i need to to only move on drag, and to stop when drag release. I've done some testing, but can't figure it out. I know it's something really simple that i'm over looking. Here is the code i'm working with. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

• 1. Re: Faking QuicktimeVR
          Level 7
          layerburn wrote:
          > So i'm trying to fake quicktimeVR without having to use the quicktime plugin.
          > I've got it working except, the object turns when the mouse enters the frame
          > and rotates based on the mouse's x position. This is ok, but i need to to only
          > move on drag, and to stop when drag release. I've done some testing, but can't
          > figure it out. I know it's something really simple that i'm over looking.
          > Here is the code i'm working with. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks
          >
          >
          >
          > onClipEvent(enterFrame) {
          > framePos = int(_xmouse / 100 * 360);
          > if (framePos < 0) {
          > _parent.gotoAndStop(360 + ((framePos + 1) % 360));
          > } else {
          > _parent.gotoAndStop(1 + (framePos % 360));
          > }
          > }
          >

Actually, there is a technique where you can create a hundred or so
          instances of the same movieclip each masked a few pixels wide but
          contain the whole image you want to pan. Each clip is scaled according
          to location and when you pan it gives you a neat 360 effect. I'm not
          sure who first came up with the concept but one recent project I've seen
          done very well was by Aral Balkan. You can see it on his blog at
          http://aralbalkan.com/701. He explains a bit what he did.

James O'Reilly
          www.jamesor.com
          • 2. Re: Faking QuicktimeVR
            layerburn Level 1
            I followed your link, but got an error on his page. Which article were you referring to? Thanks for the help.
            • 3. Re: Faking QuicktimeVR
              Detonate 2004 Level 1
              remove the . at the end in your url address bar