3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2006 9:00 AM by Rothrock

Why not 2880 Limit?

waydewyatt
      Does anyone know if there are plans to remove the 2880 image dimension limit in a future version of Flash? I understant the need to limit memory consumption, but why not limit the total image size (in memory) instead of the size in a particular dimension? We work with a lot of panoramic photos which exceed 2880 pixels in width, but may only be 600 pixels in height.
        • 1. Re: Why not 2880 Limit?
          Level 7

waydewyatt wrote:
          > Does anyone know if there are plans to remove the 2880 image dimension limit in
          > a future version of Flash? I understant the need to limit memory consumption,
          > but why not limit the total image size (in memory) instead of the size in a
          > particular dimension? We work with a lot of panoramic photos which exceed 2880
          > pixels in width, but may only be 600 pixels in height.

Easy to over come. cut in bits and stitch.
          I do lots of panoramic content too, many clients run hotels or do interior design.
          Very common for portfolios. Anyway, I will cut the image in 5 to 8 pieces than
          place it in movie clip, each frame has one slice of the image. Than i duplicate the
          frames, place one after another and get one long MC, sometimes 8,000 pixels big.
          Works w/o any problem.

--
          Best Regards

Urami

--

<urami>
          If you want to mail me - DO NOT LAUGH AT MY ADDRESS
          </urami>
          • 2. Re: Why not 2880 Limit?
            waydewyatt Level 1
            Hi Urami,

Thanks for your response. I think your approach works well if you are building flash presentations by hand, but we have an automated system that allows our customers to create photo-based tours. So, we would have to write a routine to split the uploaded photos into parts, pass them to the flash application that would then reassemble them. It can be done, but would be quite involved.

Another approach I've seen is to convert the photo (JPG) to an SWF using a third party tool such as SWFTools. Apparently there is no size limit on SWF imports. We're testing this now.

My original point was that the 2880 limit just does not seem to be a good design. Seems like either there should be no limit or base it on a combination of the width and hight. Has anyone ever had a discussion with Macromedia/Adobe developers on this?
            • 3. Re: Why not 2880 Limit?
              Rothrock Level 5
              I would be surprised if there was "no limit on swf imports." Generally a range of 16,000 pixels seems to be about the limit for things like lineTo(). I've seen people here with problems where the "lose track" of their movieclips when positioning them far off stage.

In the old days it probably was totally fine. I mean an 800 x 600 screen was enormous and your 14k modem was totally cool! It took them long enough to remove the "only 10 things with transparency" issue, but perhaps this will be on the list somewhere. In any event you most likely won't get anybody who can do anything about it to notice here. When it was MM I knew how to submit a bug/feature request. Now-a-days I don't have a clue…