12 Replies Latest reply on Sep 12, 2006 2:55 PM by Tom Hersh

conflich with Sony CF reader?

Tom Hersh Level 1
      I have a Sony computer with built in card readers. The Memory Stick reader and SD readers work. The CF doesn't. In Fireworks (and in the Microsoft reader program) it shows the jpeg files from my camera but, when I try to open them, neither program recognizes the file type (even though they are .jpeg).
      At first Sony thought it was a software conflict, but I convinced them it was the hardware. Today someone came over and replaced the reader card on the computer. And the problem is not resolved.
      Is it possible Fireworks is preventing programs from reading the card properly?
      Anyone aware of such a problem?
      If so, any fix?
      Thanks, Tom
        • 1. Re: conflich with Sony CF reader?
          Level 7
          Tom,
          Can you open the files from the CF card with other programs?

alex

Tom Hersh wrote:
          > I have a Sony computer with built in card readers. The Memory Stick reader and
          > SD readers work. The CF doesn't. In Fireworks (and in the Microsoft reader
          > program) it shows the jpeg files from my camera but, when I try to open them,
          > neither program recognizes the file type (even though they are .jpeg).
          > At first Sony thought it was a software conflict, but I convinced them it was
          > the hardware. Today someone came over and replaced the reader card on the
          > computer. And the problem is not resolved.
          > Is it possible Fireworks is preventing programs from reading the card properly?
          > Anyone aware of such a problem?
          > If so, any fix?
          > Thanks, Tom
          >
          • 2. Re: conflich with Sony CF reader?
            Tom Hersh Level 1
            Yes. I forgot to mention that the CF jpg files open fine even in Fireworks if I use a Sandisk card reader. It is defintely a problem with the Sony built in CF reader but we just replaced the reader. So it seems to be a software problem. And the question is, could Fireworks (the only program I use for manipulating digital images) be in conflict with the Sony reader? Somehow causing it not to read CF cards?
            • 3. Re: conflich with Sony CF reader?
              Level 7
              Tom,
              One more question - can other programs open the files from the built in
              reader?

I would also try to change the drive letter .. just for the heck of it.

alex

Tom Hersh wrote:
              > Yes. I forgot to mention that the CF jpg files open fine even in Fireworks if
              > I use a Sandisk card reader. It is defintely a problem with the Sony built in
              > CF reader but we just replaced the reader. So it seems to be a software
              > problem. And the question is, could Fireworks (the only program I use for
              > manipulating digital images) be in conflict with the Sony reader? Somehow
              > causing it not to read CF cards?
              >
              • 4. Re: conflich with Sony CF reader?
                Tom Hersh Level 1
                Alex,
                The Microsoft reader program (I forget it's name) for Pictures does not work either. That's the only other one I've tried.
                I tried giving the drive different letter, but it wouldn't allow this. I gave it a different name, but the problem persisted.
                It may not be Fireworks that is interfering. But I thought it might be. If it is not a known problem with Fireworks, I will try to uninstall FW and see if I can then read the card with the Microsoft reader.
                Tom
                • 5. Re: conflich with Sony CF reader?
                  Level 7
                  Tom Hersh wrote:
                  > Alex,
                  > The Microsoft reader program (I forget it's name) for Pictures does not work
                  > either. That's the only other one I've tried.
                  > I tried giving the drive different letter, but it wouldn't allow this. I gave
                  > it a different name, but the problem persisted.
                  > It may not be Fireworks that is interfering. But I thought it might be. If
                  > it is not a known problem with Fireworks, I will try to uninstall FW and see if
                  > I can then read the card with the Microsoft reader.
                  > Tom
                  >

Tom,
                  Can you just plain copy the files from the CF card to a folder on your pc?

SKB
                  • 6. Re: conflich with Sony CF reader?
                    Tom Hersh Level 1
                    Every time I try this there seems to be a gradual deterioration. At this point the image can not be copied. I get a message that the file can not be read. That it may be corrupted. In the Microsoft "reader" the image is garbled.
                    However, if I simply take the card out and put it back in the Sandisk reader, I can open the jpg image fine in both the Microsoft program and in Fireworks.
                    • 7. Re: conflich with Sony CF reader?
                      Level 7
                      Tom Hersh wrote:
                      > Every time I try this there seems to be a gradual deterioration. At this point
                      > the image can not be copied. I get a message that the file can not be read.
                      > That it may be corrupted. In the Microsoft "reader" the image is garbled.
                      > However, if I simply take the card out and put it back in the Sandisk reader,
                      > I can open the jpg image fine in both the Microsoft program and in Fireworks.
                      >
                      It would seem to me that if it can not be read by Windows from the Sony
                      reader but, can be read through the Sandisk reader, there is a
                      compatibility problem between the Sony reader and the CF card. Or, the
                      Sony and Sandisk readers are fighting it out.

Either way, I don't see where Fireworks could have anything to do with it.

SKB
                      • 8. Re: conflich with Sony CF reader?
                        Level 7
                        I agree - if you you are also having problems with other programs or
                        just copying the files to the computer, the reader and/or its drivers
                        are suspect.

SKB wrote:

> It would seem to me that if it can not be read by Windows from the Sony
                        > reader but, can be read through the Sandisk reader, there is a
                        > compatibility problem between the Sony reader and the CF card. Or, the
                        > Sony and Sandisk readers are fighting it out.
                        >
                        > Either way, I don't see where Fireworks could have anything to do with it.
                        >
                        > SKB
                        • 9. Re: conflich with Sony CF reader?
                          Tom Hersh Level 1
                          So you don't think there is any way that the FW driver could be conflicting with the Sony driver?
                          It isn't the Sony reader itself, because that was replaced today.
                          If it's not the FW driver, then I guess it must be the Sony reader's driver.
                          Trouble for me is they will want me to reformat my harddrive to make sure.
                          • 10. Re: conflich with Sony CF reader?
                            Level 7
                            Fireworks will not have a driver to see the Sony driver. I don't think
                            that is the way it works. A device has drivers that make it work the way
                            with the OS ... or not.

If the reader is misbehaving with other programs as well as the
                            operating system then there is a compatibility issue at hand with the
                            device.

The quickest workaround I can think of is to use another reader for your
                            CF cards.

alex

Tom Hersh wrote:
                            > So you don't think there is any way that the FW driver could be conflicting
                            > with the Sony driver?
                            > It isn't the Sony reader itself, because that was replaced today.
                            > If it's not the FW driver, then I guess it must be the Sony reader's driver.
                            > Trouble for me is they will want me to reformat my harddrive to make sure.
                            >
                            • 11. Re: conflich with Sony CF reader?
                              Level 7
                              Tom Hersh wrote:

If the CF card works in the Sandisk reader and your camera(I'm
                              assuming), then there has to be a problem between the CF card and the
                              Sony reader. Especially if it reads Memory Sticks and SD cards ok.

SKB
                              • 12. Re: conflich with Sony CF reader?
                                Tom Hersh Level 1
                                Sure makes sense.
                                I'll use the Sandisk reader and contact Sony.
                                Thanks.