18 Replies Latest reply on Feb 6, 2009 10:02 AM by Newsgroup_User

Is there NO solution to the dependent files issue?

Cameling
      When working live with an FTP server Dreamweaver puts dependent files, regardless of what your setting are, or if you click 'No' to the dialogue box. This is a problem that has constantly plagued my coworkers and I. When working with others on a site this is simply DISATSROUS as files are continually overwritten.

I have gone to edit/prefs/site and checked the boxes for get and put. I have always clicked 'No' when asked to put dependent files. But Dreamweaver ALWAYS puts dependent files.

This is ridiculous. Multiple people are having this problem, multiple people have asked for a solution and I have yet to see an ounce of help outside of 'change your preferences'. It is obvious this does not work. I have checked, re-checked and checked again. I have found numerous complaints about this problem, on this forum and many others.

Is there no solution? Is there no way to turn off this feature? I have tried checking ‘Do not ask again’ and selecting ‘No’ as suggested in a response to another similar post. This did not work. Nothing works.

Help me out here guys. I can’t believe this hasn’t been solved after the number of complaints for this specific feature (if you can even call it a ‘feature’ at this point).

I’m on the verge of scrapping the use of FTP in Dreamweaver completely and switching to something more reliable. I’m not the only one, just type ‘dependent files’ into the search box and see for yourself...
        • 1. Re: Is there NO solution to the dependent files issue?
          joeq Level 1
          if i were you, i'd sue. then i'd stalk the developers of dreamweaver and the top brass of adobe and beat them to death.

• 2. Re: Is there NO solution to the dependent files issue?
            PHP_Ironman
            That would take so much effort. I've had the same issue with my laptop and desktop. There doesn't seem to be a resolution. It would be cool if someone from Adobe recognized it.

All that walking, all I want is to edit the most up-to-date fiels.... but i can't go back to drag and drop - so please someone fix this, before....
            • 3. Re: Is there NO solution to the dependent files issue?
              Level 7
              Give me a clear example of how this isn't working for you, please? Show me
              what files are being put that shouldn't be...

--
              Murray --- ICQ 71997575
              Adobe Community Expert
              (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
              ==================
              http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com - Template Triage!
              http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
              http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
              http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/ - Macromedia (MM) Technotes
              ==================

"Cameling" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
              news:eble99$o86$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > When working live with an FTP server Dreamweaver puts dependent files,
              > regardless of what your setting are, or if you click 'No' to the dialogue
              > box.
              > This is a problem that has constantly plagued my coworkers and I. When
              > working
              > with others on a site this is simply DISATSROUS as files are continually
              > overwritten.
              >

• 4. Re: Is there NO solution to the dependent files issue?
                Cameling Level 1
                We have had multiple issues with included files being uploaded. The website we are working with is made up of .php documents. The headers and footers for each page are included files along with some others: globals, navigation etc. When we are working on a page and upload it, Dreamweaver automatically uploads these included files as well. This is the main problem, though at times other files are miraculously added as well.

Thank you for any help you can provide.
                • 5. Re: Is there NO solution to the dependent files issue?
                  Level 7
                  Hi Cameling

Please open an official tech support incident for this so we can
                  investigate in-depth:

http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/

Thanks,

David Alcala
                  Adobe Product Support
                  • 6. Is there NO solution to the dependent files issue?
                    vesper8
                    omg! I so feel your frustration with this!

I am about to tear my hair out over this.. I am about to ditch dreamweaver completely just because this feature that can't be disable almost made me lose hours of work YET AGAIN!!

When I'm modifying a file I just need to modify THAT one.. if I am needing to modify OTHER files I am fully able of saving those files seperately!! sheesh WHAT WERE YOU THINKING ADOBE???

just now I 'saved' a file I made modifications to and it asked me about wether I wanted to upload "files" even though the server had a newer version of them. I read it too quickly and clicked ok and all of a sudden my website has code from a week ago !! lol...

it took me a moment to figure out what had just happened. Dreamweaver uploaded some OLLD files that it had stored in it's "archive" directory I guess. Yea sure it was my bad for not reading and understanding what it actually wanted to do. And thank god I had backups but still.

PLEASE PLEASE make a quickfix for allowing us to disable the 'auto-upload of dependent files' !! It is SOO impractical
                    • 7. Re: Is there NO solution to the dependent files issue?
                      Level 7
                      Open Preferences and switch to the Site category. Deselect the "Dependent
                      files: Prompt on put/check in" checkbox.

Best - Joe
                      Joseph Lowery
                      Director of Marketing, WebAssist

"vesper8" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                      news:efnuu9$a6o$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                      > omg! I so feel your frustration with this!
                      >
                      > I am about to tear my hair out over this.. I am about to ditch dreamweaver
                      > completely just because this feature that can't be disable almost made me
                      > lose
                      > hours of work YET AGAIN!!
                      >
                      > When I'm modifying a file I just need to modify THAT one.. if I am needing
                      > to
                      > modify OTHER files I am fully able of saving those files seperately!!
                      > sheesh
                      > WHAT WERE YOU THINKING ADOBE???
                      >
                      > just now I 'saved' a file I made modifications too and it asked me about
                      > wether I wanted to upload "files" even though the server had a new version
                      > of
                      > it. I read it too quickly and clicked ok and all of a sudden my website
                      > has
                      > code from a week ago !! lol...
                      >
                      > it took me a moment to figure out what had just happened. Dreamweaver
                      > uploaded
                      > some OLLD files that it had stored in it's "archive" directory I guess.
                      > Yea
                      > sure it was my bad for not reading and understanding what it actually
                      > wanted to
                      > do. And thank god I had backups but still.
                      >
                      > PLEASE PLEASE make a quickfix for allowing us to disable the 'auto-upload
                      > of
                      > dependent files' !! It is SOO impractical
                      >

• 8. Re: Is there NO solution to the dependent files issue?
                        Raige
                        This ONLY works when you are working locally and putting files manually. What if I want to make a quick change to a live file and hit CTRL-S. It completely ignores whatever settings you have.

I work in a production/developement environment where I work directly on a development server. Sometimes I work on the network, sometimes I remote in. It doesn't matter how I'm connected it still saves the dependent files.

If you want to make everyone happy, create an option that is a checkbox that says "Disable Dependent File Uploads" and make it so when I save index.cfm it doesn't try to upload (header.cfm, footer.cfm, pic1.jpg, pic2.jpg, etc etc). Just save the file I edited.

I don't mind that Dreamweaver is initially setup this way. But you definitely need to make a way to completely disable this feature for seasoned developers. 99% of the reasons my developers won't use Dreamweaver is because it takes dreamweaver 25 seconds to go through it's saving/upload process where EditPlus (a free program) takes 2-3seconds.

• 9. Re: Is there NO solution to the dependent files issue?
                          Wildcat_ut
                          I am having this same problem, I just lost a weeks worth of work because of this issue... I had the preferences set to prompt me, I clicked no and it overwrote newer dependent files with old ones anyway... Is there a fix to this or not? I too have been looking all over the net and have seen alot of people having this issue but no solves accept to work locally with a seperate ftp program, which is a real pain in the arse compared to ctrl-s and its done....
                          • 10. Re: Is there NO solution to the dependent files issue?
                            sstringer
                            I, too, am having this problem. This a serious bug, Adobe, and needs to be fixed in a patch ASAP.

@Joseph Lowery
                            quote:

Open Preferences and switch to the Site category. Deselect the "Dependent

Thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately, deselecting this checkbox has absolutely no effect on the behavior. Nor does checking the "Do not ask again" option on the "Put Dependent Files" prompt itself. Hence the bug.

FWWIW:
                            DW CS3
                            Mac 10.4.9

The most reliable way I've found to reproduce the bug is to hit Option+F12 to preview a page on my test server. Every single f-ing time, I'm asked if I want to put dependent files. Clicking no or checking "don't ask me again" has no effect on DW's subsequent behavior which puts the dependent files anyway.

It is simply amazing to me that DW made it through beta testing with this flaw!
                            • 11. Re: Is there NO solution to the dependent files issue?
                              vesper8 Level 1
                              can you believe it.. they did NOT FIX this in CS3 !!!?!?! LOL!!!

my god.. you people at adobe must really think we're stupid.. all you did was change a few graphics and made the interface a little more pleasant.. but otherwise you improved this product in no noticable way.. worse of all.. you kept this stupid idiotic moronic "bug ridden feature" in.

OMG!!

don't you understand yet ?? WE DON'T WANT YOUR STUPID DEPENDENT FILES for ****'s sake man! I want to disable the local cache.. and I want to NEVER EVER EVER be asked if I want to get or put dependent files.. it's the worse thinking ever!! There is NO reason why your product should ever have the infinately moronic possibility of uploading OLD files to replace my new files on my FTP.

omg.. I keep looking for an alternative to dreamweaver just because of this god damn "feature" which is the worse pain in the *** ever! GET IT FIXED for all that is holy!!!
                              • 12. Re: Is there NO solution to the dependent files issue?
                                Level 7
                                Call your physician right away.

--
                                Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                                Adobe Community Expert
                                ==================
                                http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com - Template Triage!
                                http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/ - Macromedia (MM) Technotes
                                ==================

"vesper8" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                                news:f2hibc$pdp$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                > can you believe it.. they did NOT FIX this in CS3 !!!?!?! LOL!!!
                                >
                                > my god.. you people at adobe must really think we're stupid.. all you did
                                > was
                                > change a few graphics and made the interface a little more pleasant.. but
                                > otherwise you improved this product in no noticable way.. worse of all..
                                > you
                                > kept this stupid idiotic moronic "bug ridden feature" in.
                                >
                                > OMG!!
                                >
                                > don't you understand yet ?? WE DON'T WANT YOUR STUPID DEPENDENT FILES for
                                > ****'s sake man! I want to disable the local cache.. and I want to NEVER
                                > EVER
                                > EVER be asked if I want to get or put dependent files.. it's the worse
                                > thinking
                                > ever!! There is NO reason why your product should ever have the infinately
                                > moronic possibility of uploading OLD files to replace my new files on my
                                > FTP.
                                >
                                > omg.. I keep looking for an alternative to dreamweaver just because of
                                > this
                                > god damn "feature" which is the worse pain in the *** ever! GET IT FIXED
                                > for
                                > all that is holy!!!
                                >

• 13. Is there NO solution to the dependent files issue?
                                  vesper8 Level 1
                                  no doubt that is sound advice! there are few things that irk me and make me lose my patience more than dreamweaver's dependent files confirmation dialog.. and seeing it about 20 times per hour when i'm coding and debugging after having had it yet again prove its stupidity by restoring a previous copy from one of its caches, who's options are out of my control.. just like the other MISSING options, over my NEW code!! .. actually really does make me feel like I could use some therapy ;-)
                                  • 14. Re: Is there NO solution to the dependent files issue?
                                    sstringer Level 1
                                    In the hope that the following might help someone on the dev team replicate the problem, here are some reliable steps to get this to happen:

1) Upgrade to CS3 Web Premium from Studio 8.

2) Set up a local site, using a local, network accessible PHP/MySQL testing server.

3) In Preferences > Preview in Browser, ensure that "Preview using temporary file" is unchecked.

4) In Preferences > Site, ensure that "Prompt on get/check out" and "Prompt on put/check in" are UNCHECKED, indicating that I *do not want* the prompt

5) Create a new page.

6) Hit Option+F12 to preview the page in a browser.

Every single time I hit Option+F12 (or CMD+F12), I am asked if I want to "Put Dependent Files?" even if there are no dependent files on the page. Checking "do not ask me again" has absolutely no effect on this bug. This is 100% repeatable and happens across any of my sites, not just one in particular.

Note: I have opened a web case and have reported the bug via the bug reporting form. Given I've never received a single response to past support requests or bug reports since upgrading to CS3, I'm not holding my breath for a quick solution from Adobe.
                                    • 15. Re: Is there NO solution to the dependent files issue?
                                      BruceCSI2 Level 1
                                      Personally, I've never had this problem. If I select No in the dialog box, only the file I selected uploads. Oh, and I do like the option of uploading dependent files.

I've got 2 words for Vesper.... Valium, Prozac.
                                      • 16. Re: Is there NO solution to the dependent files issue?
                                        sneakyimp Level 2
                                        I have had this problem in Dreamweaver 7 for some time now. I have tried checking and unchecking EDIT->PREFERENCES->SITE->"Prompt before moving files on server" and I do not ever get prompted whether or not I would like to put dependent files. Every time I upload a file with any CSS or images, it spends a lot of time putting dependent files. This is really really really bothersome as I am a PHP developer and frequently have to debug my applications on the server.

How does one fix it?
                                        • 17. Re: Is there NO solution to the dependent files issue?
                                          magicfun
                                          I'm wondering if this problem has been solved or if anyone has a solution? I am having the same problem. Dreamweaver ALWAYS will upload the dependent files no matter if I have the preferences site prompt on or off. It uploads and changes the dependent files no matter the case.

Anyone found a solution? This topic seems old but I am browsing forums for solutions. Did the bug ticket have any answer from Adobe?
                                          • 18. Re: Is there NO solution to the dependent files issue?
                                            Level 7
                                            See response to your previous post.

--
                                            Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                                            Adobe Community Expert
                                            ==================
                                            ==================

"magicfun" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                                            news:gmht9c$dkb$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                            > I'm wondering if this problem has been solved or if anyone has a solution?
                                            > I am
                                            > having the same problem. Dreamweaver ALWAYS will upload the dependent
                                            > files no
                                            > matter if I have the preferences site prompt on or off. It uploads and
                                            > changes
                                            > the dependent files no matter the case.
                                            >
                                            > Anyone found a solution? This topic seems old but I am browsing forums for
                                            > solutions. Did the bug ticket have any answer from Adobe?
                                            >