5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 26, 2006 1:26 PM by Newsgroup_User

<<Previous   1 2 3 4   Next >>

spagonz
      What's the easiest way to create (and maintain) standard linkage for a user to turn pages (both forward and backward), as seen at the bottom right-hand corner of some web pages? Is the easiest way just to create standard hypertext links? Can it be done by using Dreamweaver 'Behaviors' ? Or is the best way to accomplish this is by using Flash (Behaviors, Components, or Actionscript)?

e.g.,

<<Previous 1 2 3 4 Next>>
        • 1. Re: &lt;&lt;Previous   1 2 3 4   Next &gt;&gt;
          Level 7
          spagonz wrote:
          > What's the easiest way to create (and maintain) standard linkage for a user to
          > turn pages (both forward and backward), as seen at the bottom right-hand corner
          > of some web pages? Is the easiest way just to create standard hypertext links?
          > Can it be done by using Dreamweaver 'Behaviors' ? Or is the best way to
          > accomplish this is by using Flash (Behaviors, Components, or Actionscript)?
          >
          > e.g.,
          >
          > <<Previous 1 2 3 4 Next>>
          >

the best way to do this is to use server-side scripting to generate them.
          The big advantage of server-side scripting is that it can detect how many pages there are, thus
          generate a list of numbers that will always be accurate.

For example, in this page:
          http://www.dynomighty.com/products.php

this is how it works:

This page contains a script that indexes all the products (which are all placed in one directory),
          and counts them.
          It then calculates how many pages are needed to display all the products, with 15 products per page.
          It then generates the < 1 2 3 4... > links-numbers accordingly.
          If you click on one of the numbers, you'll see a variable is appended to the url (&page=2).
          The same page reloads, but the script knows that this time it must display the products 16 to 30
          ("page 2").
          If the variable is NOT appended, it knows it must display products 1 to 15...

--
          seb ( ---@webtrans1.com)
          http://webtrans1.com | high-end web design
          Downloads: Slide Show, Directory Browser, Mailing List
          • 2. Re: &lt;&lt;Previous   1 2 3 4   Next &gt;&gt;
            spagonz Level 1
            Thanks for your kind and informative reply Seb!

Server-side makes a lot of sense, especially if I am continually updating my pages with the most RECENT content contributions being FIRST <li> on the list (or FIRST ROW in a table). I was envisioning myself having to constantly (and manually) keep pushing older table row content to succesive pages, then re-paginating and re-linking my pages accordingly.

I suppose the server-side script takes care of this. As you mentioned, it knows when to create a new page after 15 list elements (or Table rows--I hope--this is what I'm using) and re-apply the navigation...so I can freely update table rows right from the top, with older rows pushed down a notch and onto the 'next' page...the scripting takes over from there.

Thanks again!

John
            • 3. Re: &lt;&lt;Previous   1 2 3 4   Next &gt;&gt;
              Level 7
              spagonz wrote:
              > Thanks for your kind and informative reply Seb!
              >
              > Server-side makes a lot of sense, especially if I am continually updating my
              > pages with the most RECENT content contributions being FIRST
              • on the list
                > (or FIRST ROW in a table). I was envisioning myself having to constantly (and
                > manually) keep pushing older table row content to succesive pages, then
                > re-paginating and re-linking my pages accordingly.
                >
                > I suppose the server-side script takes care of this. As you mentioned, it
                > knows when to create a new page after 15 list elements (or Table rows--I
                > hope--this is what I'm using) and re-apply the navigation...so I can freely
                > update table rows right from the top, with older rows pushed down a notch and
                > onto the 'next' page...the scripting takes over from there.
                >
                > Thanks again!
                >
                > John
                >

Glad to help.
                If you need script examples let me know.

--
                seb ( ---@webtrans1.com)
                http://webtrans1.com | high-end web design
                Downloads: Slide Show, Directory Browser, Mailing List
              • 4. Re: &lt;&lt;Previous   1 2 3 4   Next &gt;&gt;
                Level 7
                Tom Muck has a nice solution for this:

http://www.tom-muck.com/extensions/help/RecordsetNavigationSuite/

Use it in conjunction with the built-in navigation behaviors and you've got
                exactly what you're looking for :-)

Best regards,
                Chris

• 5. Re: &lt;&lt;Previous   1 2 3 4   Next &gt;&gt;
                  Level 7
                  > Tom Muck has a nice solution for this:
                  >
                  > http://www.tom-muck.com/extensions/help/RecordsetNavigationSuite/

Yes, I've used this for a couple of years and it works very well.

--
                  Regards

John Waller