5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 28, 2006 7:56 PM by Rothrock

loadMovie working in Firefox but not IE?

roostar
      I am having an issue with buttons and loadMovie commands. In Firefox on my Mac the buttons work as they should, on my PC they do not. Is there a reason that something like this might happen.

Here is an example should you feel compelled to look:

http://www.natkendall.com/indexTmp.html

Click on the first ‘listen’ button and music should start playing. This is the code I have in the second ‘listen’ button.

It should unload the old, and load the new external clip. It works on my MAC but not windows????????????

• 1. Re: loadMovie working in Firefox but not IE?
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          your unloadMovie() statement is unnecessary but i don't think that would cause any problem. what problem do you see (or hear) with ie?
          • 2. Re: loadMovie working in Firefox but not IE?
            roostar Level 1
            Sorry, here is the code. I just can't figure out why i can unload a movie and relaod another just fine in one broswer, but i tryu a different one and i dosen't work.

on (release){
            _root.streamer.unloadMovie();
            _root.streamer.loadMovie("FF/StreamerA1.swf", 100);
            }
            • 3. Re: loadMovie working in Firefox but not IE?
              roostar Level 1
              Why would the unloadMovie be unnecessary? Would that cause the button not to work in some browsers?
              • 4. Re: loadMovie working in Firefox but not IE?
                kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                the code you just posted is incorrect. you can load a swf into a _level OR you can load a swf into a target movieclip. which do you want to do?

it's not necessary to use unloadMovie() on a target movieclip into which you're loading another swf. the previous swf is always unloaded first.
                • 5. Re: loadMovie working in Firefox but not IE?
                  Rothrock Level 5
                  The thing I have run into with IE in the past – and it was a long ago past – was caching issues.

Sometimes an old style preloader would think that the getBytesLoaded and getBytesTotal were equal because the item was in the cache, but it wasn't actually loaded from the cache quick enough and it would cause playback problems. It didn't involve sound, but I could see it being similar.

The answer was to add a test to the preloader that something like the _width property was available. I'm guessing that your external swfs do have dimensionality and that they aren't just containers for sound files? So that might be part of the solution.

PS: This is all just conjecture and I would first go with the things that kglad is telling you because using loadMovie correctly in the first place is a much bigger fish to fry!