3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 11, 2006 8:13 AM by TG99

RECORDING DIFFERENT WINDOW SIZES

TG99
      Hi,
      Perhaps I'm doing somethign wrong. My application i'm trying to document has a small starting window, then as you navigate through it the subsequent windows change size and location though none are full screen. I want to be able to capture all these without going 'full screen' to do so.

Any tipes from anyone gratefully received
        • 1. Re: RECORDING DIFFERENT WINDOW SIZES
          macrofireball Level 3
          Hello TG99,

This is something that I have experienced on a number of occasions. Here are two things that you could do -

1. Find that largest window size in your application, capture your screens at that size. Then capture the smaller window placed on the desktop with solid color. Remember that Captivate always enables you record / capture additional slides (Edit > Record Additional Slides...)

2. Capture all the large size windows first, then using a screen capture tool such as SnagIt take a screen shot of the smaller window and add this as a graphic to the one existing slides in your project or on a blank slide with colored background.

Regards,
          Mark
          • 2. Re: RECORDING DIFFERENT WINDOW SIZES
            CatBandit Level 3
            Hi TG99 and Macrofireball,
            Try this simple fix (well, the word "simple" may be missleading):

1) Open the windows of your application until you find the largest (as Mark suggested).

2) Leave that window open and now open "Notepad".

3) Align the Notepad window so it exactly covers the large app window.

4) Leave Notepad where it is, but close the target application window.

5) Begin recording in Captivate - CHOOSE "APPLICATION" for the target.

6) Select the "Notepad" window as the "application" to be recorded.

7) Minimize the Notepad window, and re-open the target application.

*NOTE #1: Notepad may try to reopen. Just close it again and continue working with your target application. You will have to move or delete some slides during editing, but this should result in a movie that includes everything you need.

**NOTE #2: Before beginning this you will need to eliminate icons and desktop images so the "background" for the smaller windows is a plain color. Otherwise your users may think they are having a bad trip following a ingestion of a hallucinogen.

To remove desktop icons: Right-click blank space on desktop > select "Arrange Icons by ... > deselect "Show Desktop Icons.

To remove desktop images: Right-click blank space on desktop > select "Properties" > click "Desktop" tab > scroll "Background" image list to the top > select "None". On color picker (same tab) select the color you want for your blank background.

Hope this helps. Works for me . . .
            • 3. Re: RECORDING DIFFERENT WINDOW SIZES
              TG99 Level 1
              Hi Catbandit and Macrofireball,
              Sounds like a good plan to me - I'll try it.
              Regards
              Tony