3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 27, 2006 1:24 AM by macrofireball

How many slides can Captivate handle

Gabykl
      How many slides can Captivate handle? I have a project that will contain about 800 slides. Will Captivate handle that?
        • 1. Re: How many slides can Captivate handle
          Captiv8r Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          Hi Gabykl

I'm not sure if Captivate 2 will change the playing field with respect to this, but I think a very general rule of thumb is that a Captivate movie should be kept somewhere near 65 slides or so. This makes it easier to work with projects as well as easier for your users to use them.

Cheers... Rick
          • 2. Re: How many slides can Captivate handle
            HansHatton
            Hi Rick & other knowledgeable users,

I'm a new user so I too am trying to come terms with the concept of a 'slide' in Captivate. Gabykl indicates that his/her project will consist of 800 slides. The reponse was that it is best to keep the movie to 65 slides max.

So how do we achieve this reduction in practice? Presumably by having many 'pause' points on the timeline of each slide with the user clicking a forward button to progress the movie. What are the general design considerations for deciding how long to extend the timeline of a given slide (i.e. how many such pauses to build in) and when to start a new slide?

Thanks ... Hans

• 3. Re: How many slides can Captivate handle
              macrofireball Level 3
              Hello Hans,

quote:

Originally posted by: HansHatton
              Hi Rick & other knowledgeable users,
              So how do we achieve this reduction in practice? Presumably by having many 'pause' points on the timeline of each slide with the user clicking a forward button to progress the movie. What are the general design considerations for deciding how long to extend the timeline of a given slide (i.e. how many such pauses to build in) and when to start a new slide?

The simplest way to achieve this reduction is to look for logical / natural breaks in the training / instructional content and then split the project into multiple parts. This is something that I have done many occasions. To be fair Adobe Captivate 2 does compress SWF's better than Captivate 1 did, but if you were working on a project that consisted of 800 slides then you would really need to make sure you broke this up into a series of more managable learning objects. Not only because of bandwidth issues, but also, because of the average attention of learners.

You can see an example of how I broke my latest Captivate project by viewing our new PayPal Payments Pro - Solution Recipe - created in Adobe Captivate 2. These project files are being served via a Breeze server which includes some custom AJAX code provided by our engineering dept. This isn't perfect though as you will see if you play the all the files, as "Creating the Checkout - Pt2" is still taking quite a while to load, again I will probably end up having to split this into smaller parts. This is because the content is being streamed and we as yet have not added a custom pre-loader to deal with the way we are pushing the content via Breeze.

Regards,
              Mark