5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 6, 2009 9:23 AM by SABU66

Adding meta data to HTM files

SABU66 Level 1
      Hello all,

I would like to add this meta-data (and similar) to my compiled HTM files:

<meta name="robots" content="noindex" />

I'm using the Tech Comm Suite, RoboHELP 7, generating FlashHelp. Does anyone know if I have to add the code to every generated HTM file and if so, how can I automate it or reduce the labour involved?

Many thanks, Simon
        • 1. Re: Adding meta data to HTM files
          Captiv8r Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          Hi Simon

If you were creating things from scratch, you might use a Topic Template for this. But it sounds like you already have a swarm of topics to deal with. So your best bet is to post process them. Use a decent Find and Replace utility. Perhaps FAR or ReplacEm.

FAR page
          ReplacEm page

Cheers... Rick
          • 2. Re: Adding meta data to HTM files
            SABU66 Level 1
            Thanks for the speedy response Rick. Those recommended tools sound interesting; I'll check them out. Just for information's sake, is it fairly easy to create topic templates? I've tinkered with templates in RoboHELP 7 but haven't got too far I must admit. Simon
            • 3. Re: Adding meta data to HTM files
              Hi again

Looks like the link for ReplacEm is bad. Perhaps try the one below instead.

Click here

Cheers... Rick
              • 4. Re: Adding meta data to HTM files
                Hi Simon

Topic Templates are easy to create. But they won't help you with the metadata for existing topics. They are used two different ways.

* To apply headers and footers across a swarm of existing topics
                * To provide a foundation to build topics as you go

Even if you use them to build the foundation, it's possible that RoboHelp would strip out the added metadata. (It likes to do that frequently. Ever so helpfully undoing what we wanted in there! Sorta like a five year old helping put a swing set together - where did that g... hey! Bring that back here!)

So even if you used topic templates you might still find yourself having to post process to obtain the desired result.

Cheers... Rick
                • 5. Re: Adding meta data to HTM files
                  SABU66 Level 1
                  :D
                  Thanks Rick, FAR seems to be doing a top notch job. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
                  All the best,
                  Simon