4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2006 11:11 AM by Tom Benjamin

Can't review drafts

Tom Benjamin Level 1
      My draft review process isn't working. Users can send drafts, but the person receiving the draft can't edit it. The recipient clicks on the link in the pages panel, the draft page appears, but the 4 buttons at top (Publish, Send for Review, Edit Draft, Cancel) flash and then disappear. Clicking a second time on the link in the Pages panel makes the 4 buttons stay visible but when the user clicks one of them, e.g. Publish or Edit Draft, they get bumped to the site's home page.

My guess is that the guard page in MMWIP is interfering, and very briefly I can see the message "You don't have permission to edit this file..." appear. Has anyone else run into this? Is it a permissions problem with the folders (Windows 2003 server), or something with the configuration of the roles or the guard page?
        • 1. Re: Can't review drafts
          Level 7
          > My draft review process isn't working. Users can send drafts, but the
          > person receiving the draft can't edit it. The recipient clicks on the
          > link in the pages panel, the draft page appears, but the 4 buttons at
          > top (Publish, Send for Review, Edit Draft, Cancel) flash and then
          > disappear. Clicking a second time on the link in the Pages panel makes
          > the 4 buttons stay visible but when the user clicks one of them, e.g.
          > Publish or Edit Draft, they get bumped to the site's home page.
          >
          > My guess is that the guard page in MMWIP is interfering, and very
          > briefly I can see the message "You don't have permission to edit this
          > file..." appear. Has anyone else run into this? Is it a permissions
          > problem with the folders (Windows 2003 server), or something with the
          > configuration of the roles or the guard page?
          >

Hi,

Strange behavior here. What type of connection are you using.... FTP/webdav/sftp/LAN
          ?

Also see that the user you used to connect; has required permissions to access
          thew folder.

-Avinash

• 2. Re: Can't review drafts
            Tom Benjamin Level 1
            It's a LAN connection to a staging server running the CPS; we're running Contribute 3.11. I think it's a permissions problem: if I give all Contribute users write/modify access to the root folder (and all sub-folders) of the website, they are able to edit drafts, though it still requires two clicks on the Pages panel icon. The security isn't what I was expecting: I assumed I could give all Contribute users read access to the whole site, and restrict write access to just the folders containing their content. I hope I'll be able to reduce that write access to a subset of folders, but I'm not sure what yet: giving write access to just the MMWIP folder isn't enough.
            • 3. Re: Can't review drafts
              Level 7
              > It's a LAN connection to a staging server running the CPS; we're
              > running Contribute 3.11. I think it's a permissions problem: if I give
              > all Contribute users write/modify access to the root folder (and all
              > sub-folders) of the website, they are able to edit drafts, though it
              > still requires two clicks on the Pages panel icon. The security isn't
              > what I was expecting: I assumed I could give all Contribute users read
              > access to the whole site, and restrict write access to just the
              > folders containing their content. I hope I'll be able to reduce that
              > write access to a subset of folders, but I'm not sure what yet: giving
              > write access to just the MMWIP folder isn't enough.
              >

Hi,
              This can be done using the Contribute administration settings !!

-Avinash

• 4. Re: Can't review drafts
                Tom Benjamin Level 1
                No it can't, unless I'm totally missing something. Contribute Adminstration allows you to give roles access to certain folders - but that does not include MMWIP (it simply doesn't show up in the list, becase of the guard page I believe). But your server security/permissions settings still have to give the users access to the relevant folders and files, and according to Adobe/Macromedia support that means 664 permissions (read-write) on the root directory of the site and all its subdirectories.