10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2009 10:14 AM by Newsgroup_User

"click here"

takevin
      Since im a graphic designer, not a web designer, i looked up info on the do's and dont's of web design when i constructed a new website for work. One of the biggest things i thought and what i read that "click here" is 80's and cheesy, not professional. I made some .gif links from the old website and changed it from click here to "See here". Is "click here" a ok or otherwise for wording a link?? Thanks! Just read what the W3C said about it too.
        • 1. Re: "click here"
          Level 7
          Just change it from "Click here" to something more meaningful, like "For
          full-sized image, click", or "Click to submit form", or "Click for
          download"....

And 'Click here' alone is not OK.

--
          Murray --- ICQ 71997575
          Adobe Community Expert
          (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
          ==================
          http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          ==================

"takevin" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:gkfnor$lqo$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > Since im a graphic designer, not a web designer, i looked up info on the
          > do's
          > and dont's of web design when i constructed a new website for work. One of
          > the
          > biggest things i thought and what i read that "click here" is 80's and
          > cheesy.
          > I made some .gif links from the old website and changed it from click here
          > to
          > "See here". My boss wants to go back to click here. Is "click here" a ok
          > or
          > otherwise for wording a link?? Thanks!
          >

• 2. Re: &quot;click here&quot;
            Level 7
            takevin wrote:
            > Since im a graphic designer, not a web designer, i looked up info on the do's
            > and dont's of web design when i constructed a new website for work. One of the
            > biggest things i thought and what i read that "click here" is 80's and cheesy.
            > I made some .gif links from the old website and changed it from click here to
            > "See here". My boss wants to go back to click here. Is "click here" a ok or

If it was a text link, a more meaningful and descriptive text is always
            best, as the search engines and screen readers will be able to
            understand it better, but since you are using an image as a link, the
            search engines wont really know what it is anyway, so use something that
            your visitors are used to seeing. I have never seen a link that says
            "See here" so I wouldn't use that.

Dooza
            • 3. Re: &quot;click here&quot;
              Level 7
              I am assuming that the link of Click Here is attached to something whereas
              the clicker would know where they are clicking to...

For example

The story of a graphic designer that did not do what his boss wanted Click
              Here... is fine (this is a subjective question btw)

A random Click Here, with no reference to where it is taking the clicker
              conjures up visions of Nirobian Barristers in need of your help to settle
              the royal families estate....is not.

news:gkfnor$lqo$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > Since im a graphic designer, not a web designer, i looked up info on the
              > do's
              > and dont's of web design when i constructed a new website for work. One of
              > the
              > biggest things i thought and what i read that "click here" is 80's and
              > cheesy.
              > I made some .gif links from the old website and changed it from click here
              > to
              > "See here". My boss wants to go back to click here. Is "click here" a ok
              > or
              >

• 4. Re: &quot;click here&quot;
                takevin Level 1
                Yes there is more to it besides click here, about 6 word sentence for each of the different gifs.
                • 5. Re: &quot;click here&quot;
                  Level 7
                  Well, it sounds like your asking if "Click Here" is out of style, which I am
                  not sure there is a definitive answer.

However, part of it may be to take into consideration the viewing (or
                  clicking ) audience. If you are catering to a group such as those who read
                  this forum and have sophisticated web palettes, then the click here is
                  pretty useless..

If you are catering to people with less web/computer expereince (For
                  example, a page that is titled "Learn to navigate the internet" Click Here),
                  then the click here is perfect. Actually I am thinking of my dad and his
                  computer questions, that to me are common sense, but to him greek.

news:gkfsh8$s5l$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  > Yes there is more to it besides click here, about 6 word sentence for each
                  > of the different gifs.

• 6. Re: &quot;click here&quot;
                    Level 7
                    .oO(takevin)

>Since im a graphic designer, not a web designer, i looked up info on the do's
                    >and dont's of web design when i constructed a new website for work. One of the
                    >biggest things i thought and what i read that "click here" is 80's and cheesy.
                    >I made some .gif links from the old website and changed it from click here to
                    >"See here". My boss wants to go back to click here. Is "click here" a ok or
                    >otherwise for wording a link?? Thanks!

Have a look at the links on that page if read out of context. Most
                    browsers offer a way to show all links on a page as a simple list
                    without any surrounding text. Which links still make sense because of
                    their meaningful description and which don't? This should pretty much
                    answer your question.

BTW: Not all people actually "click" on something when surfing the web.

Micha
                    • 7. Re: &quot;click here&quot;
                      Level 7
                      Michael Fesser <netizen@gmx.de> wrote in
                      news:gfumm49b6s5ch58kt9hdike1t2j4qqjph1@4ax.com:

> BTW: Not all people actually "click" on something when surfing
                      > the web.

Indeed. Some people "select" or "tap" or "press" or something else.
                      I don't believe I have *ever* used "click here" (it just seems like
                      lazy writing to me). But if I were forced to use something similar,
                      I would say something like "Select the <link> to visit the
                      <whatever>" (Naturally replacing where necessary.)

~~BB

--
                      ************************************************************
                      * Can't see the Forest | Bryan B. *
                      * Through the Spam? | Reply if you want. E-mail *
                      * Take it out! | address changes frequently *
                      * (Damn Viruses!) | to foil spambots. *
                      ************************************************************
                      • 8. Re: &quot;click here&quot;
                        Level 7
                        Micha! You're back! Were you having lunch again? ;-)

--
                        Bonnie

Michael Fesser wrote:
                        > .oO(takevin)
                        >
                        >> Since im a graphic designer, not a web designer, i looked up info on the do's
                        >> and dont's of web design when i constructed a new website for work. One of the
                        >> biggest things i thought and what i read that "click here" is 80's and cheesy.
                        >> I made some .gif links from the old website and changed it from click here to
                        >> "See here". My boss wants to go back to click here. Is "click here" a ok or
                        >> otherwise for wording a link?? Thanks!
                        >
                        > Have a look at the links on that page if read out of context. Most
                        > browsers offer a way to show all links on a page as a simple list
                        > without any surrounding text. Which links still make sense because of
                        > their meaningful description and which don't? This should pretty much
                        > answer your question.
                        >
                        > BTW: Not all people actually "click" on something when surfing the web.
                        >
                        > Micha
                        • 9. Re: &quot;click here&quot;
                          Level 7
                          .oO(Bonnie <bonnie@pixel[occam]plum.com>)

>Micha! You're back! Were you having lunch again? ;-)

Dessert. ;)

Micha
                          • 10. Re: &quot;click here&quot;
                            Level 7
                            I want some of what he's having.... 8)

--
                            Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                            Adobe Community Expert
                            (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                            ==================
                            http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                            http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                            ==================

"Michael Fesser" <netizen@gmx.de> wrote in message
                            news:kjlpm4p1a704t3oi1f2v5k02sbgh0jedcg@4ax.com...
                            > .oO(Bonnie <bonnie@pixel[occam]plum.com>)
                            >
                            >>Micha! You're back! Were you having lunch again? ;-)
                            >
                            > Dessert. ;)
                            >
                            > Micha